Valid Html And Css But .. Problems With Ie

talvi

I've tested the code on the validator and, after ironing out a couple of errors, both the html and the css are valid, but although the page displays perfectly in Firefox it looks a mess in IE. It's at: http://phoenixchange...newIndex000.php I've tested it on Litmus and their result is the same as what I get. Ive attached two screen shots, showing the first two problems. One is of FF9.0.1 (screenshot from my machine) that shows what I want, and the other shows the Litmus test result of IE7. The three problems in IE are that: 1. The inline "menu" on the top of the grey banner and on the right of the window, slips inboard2. The content of the page drops about 150px down from the fixed grey banner3. The fixed banner isn't fixed in IE post-89405-0-38704500-1326465014_thumb.jpg post-89405-0-83443100-1326465031_thumb.jpg I've been being helped by dsonesuk on another thread (on another topic) but have moved it here and in case it's of interest more generally

LOOK! as pointed out before, but! I shall say this only ONCE MORE, as long as <!--******************* INDEX PAGE **********************-->is placed at the top of the page the doctype is ignored, and IE will revert to quirkes mode, which will force crappy IE to display as what you are seeing now!

That explanation is the lightbulb moment!

as long as ** the comment ** is placed at the top of the page the doctype is ignored
I've just moved the comment under the first php require!!! Bingo!! Thanks for staying with it :)

Archived