Multi-Resolution Support

bmroyer

I did a search on google about this, and I read many different views. Some say that you should design your site based off the lowest resolution, so when you load it in a larger resolution, it will expand. Another article said you should base your layout on the largest resolution. Yet another article said you should base it on the smallest resolution, and use a table to contain all the divs. I know most folks here will say, "well it depends on your needs." Lets just base this off a "normal" web design. Whether it be a single column, double, triple...What are your thoughts? I've been using a div "wrapper" to contain all my other divs, and I used a max width of 1000px which still looks alittle screwy viewing in a netbook. I did read some useful div information which I want to start doing. Instead of having a div for everything on your layout, just use a div for your main layout, then use classes and inherit what you need from the divs. I should have read up on this along time ago...

The minimum resolution used these days is 1024, allow for side scrollbar and default padding, margin, and for outer shadow, you will find most use min-width of 960px; Also using inherit for styling is not a good idea, as if you look through the css tutorial you will find numerous mentions of IE does not support inherit for blah, blah so forget that idea.

I use 950px width for my site. But you can't find a right answer on your question because having your website displayed right on every display in this world is impossible. And that's why you find so many different answers on the internet. But what dsonesuk said the most common screen resolution is 1024px now a days.

As already dsonusk said 1024 is common resolution. There is many way to server pages for multi screen.You should build according to it at first and after that reference it for developing for any other resolution. You cant develop for every resolution. So there is a some groups of resolution which you can categorise. Closer resolution in a category wont affect your design much. As for developing in netbook will be harder. 1024 is for mostly desktop so it will be better to develop it in desktop. Desktop and netbook pixel density may not match which can affect the looks for design which could be problemitc in some time when you will design.

Archived