hosting multi sites on the same server

abdelelbouhy

hello guys,i'm developing 3 e-commerce sites for a company the manager want to be able to manage all the sites from one backend i developed the first site and they can manage the new site with the old one from one backend now my question is developing those site will slow down the sites and if so what should be done to avoid this problem do i have to upgrade the CPUs or what is the best to do please help

Simply having the site doesn't slow things down... however, your server needs to be able to handle the combined traffic of all sites, assuming that all sites get visited constantly and regularly.To be able to handle all the traffic, you need to invest in a better CPU (the more cores, the better, even if the frequency is lower), yes, but also in more RAM, and a better Internet plan. That last one is the typical bottleneck of most "self hosts", since typical ISP plans offer great download speeds, but not so good upload speeds, and for a server, you need great upload speeds.

Another thing that is frequently overlooked is storage speed. If you have a single 5400 RPM IDE drive you're going to see things take a lot longer then if you had 15,000 RPM SCSI drives in a RAID array. SSDs are ideal for server work, but they are expensive. Storage speed becomes a major issue if you have database-heavy content. Sometimes people write off a slow-performing database as needing to be optimized or more RAM or CPU or whatever when the real problem may be that the data is taking too long to read because of slow hard drives.

Archived