Almost Time To Learn

Krewe

Alright Guys, Well it is about time for me to learn this language.So I would just like some advice for you guys.What should I make sure I have a good grasp on, any good resources that are a must see? Some of that stuff.Also, from what I recall this is a pretty simple language, is this correct? Thanks Guys.Krewe

• Like 1

Also, from what I recall this is a pretty simple language, is this correct?
The language, yes... DOM however... not exactly...I would advise you to get more familiar with DOM Core by using a more predictable language than JavaScript... like PHP for example. Once you feel comfy with that, dealing with JavaScript's DOM will be easy - you'll just keep in mind the additional non-core objects.Trying to learn DOM with JavaScript can be daunting as browsers differ, plus their messages are not as helpful as those by PHP, ASP.NET and others.

Well I feel pretty good with PHP. However, I am not exactly sure if I have use DOM Core with it. Any examples? Thanks Robot.

Start with a basic "framework" of sorts, like:

<?php$doc = new DOMDocument();$doc->load('test.xml');//Do stuff to manipulate the document hereecho '<pre>', htmlspecialchars($doc->saveXML(), ENT_COMPAT, 'UTF-8'), '</pre>';?>

With that in mind... just play with it while having the DOM manual at your side, and some XML file called "test.xml" in the same folder. You can then observe what does what. Start with DOMDocument, since that's what $doc is.

It's not difficult at all... in fact, you already know most of it, given that XML was born out of HTML's basis - SGML.

Javascript is an invaluable language to know. I'm glad you are taking this step. I started by doing the W3Schools tutorials. However, I find the document.write() they teach at the beginning pretty useless. You never actually use it in real JS programming. Oh well. It's one of those "hello world" exercises they always make you do. JS is a sweet language. Its syntax has lots of tricks and is very flexible and powerful. It takes a good while of learning to get a good all-around grasp of it. I'm sure it will help, however, knowing PHP. Nonetheless, JS still differs in many ways from PHP so there will be new concepts (many of which you probably will wish PHP had!). Once you get a decent grasp of JS and DOM manipulation, you probably will find that the jQuery library simplifies programming significantly. However, just be careful how you use it. It's easy to get carried away without considering the speed tax on the user's browser. That's still a good way in the future though. Just keep it in the back of your mind for when you get more familiar with JS.

http://developer.mozilla.com here you will find a good resource for javascript. Though it specific to firefox and every browser hs its own manual, you will find it good resource. THis dev network is great you can also find a lot of articles also http://quirksmode.com <= with good elaboration and compatibility charts.