MySQL Pre 4.1 'insecure authentication' Upgrading Effects

morrisjohnny

I'm currently working for a company who i'm assuming have a pre 4.1 MySQL as when i'm trying to connect with PHP 5.3.8 and it is complaining about the insecure authentication

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file in C:\xampp\htdocs\test\connection_test.php on line 2Could not connect: mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file
Now i've noticed you need to run the following command
SET old_passwords = 0;UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = PASSWORD('testpass') WHERE User = 'testuser' limit 1;SELECT LENGTH(Password) FROM mysql.user WHERE User = 'testuser'; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

However considering this database is accessed by a number of different systems if I run this command for one of the users will this affect all other users? as i'm not 100% certain what other software connect to this database (I know of 2 others). Without downgrading PHP or upgrading MySQL what other options do I have?create a new user just for PHP and run the command? or will it affect others users?

Archived