Designing with lots of text to deal with

darossa

Hello! There isn't exactly a specific forum for this question, so HTML is the most approximate. I have a site in which I focus on content. I have basic html and css knowledge, so I designed a mínimalistic layout with basic text and tables. Almost zero images, because they take precious deciseconds to load. What it is? A class notes site, where I copy (type in my laptop) everything (yes, everything, not a summary) my teachers at college say, then I publish to share with my friends and the world. Check out http://notasdeaula.org, however it's in Portuguese. I use Microsoft Word to do the typing, specially because of its spellchecking capabilities and rich text format. Anyway, it is content that really needs formatting, so parts of the text get bold, italics and more. After the review I copy and paste onto KompoZer, the WYSIWYG editor, then I make the final adjustments to have it in HTML. Almost everything I do is semi-automatic. No HTML tags editing in the code, since I don't have time for it (I already stay up to 11 hours everyday to review the spoken text into a readable text). So I end up with a html file with a lousy code, loaded with junk tags. This is because Word. Someone suggested I moved to WordPress or another CMS, but I've also been told: "never ever paste a Word document into the text field in a blogging interface". The questions:- Do I really need to change my method, or the junk HTML is not a real issue?- If you're a designer who focus on content instead of the design and layout itself, what would be your "MO"; how would you deal with a lot of (formated) text? Think of an average of 35,000 characters inside a Word document everyday.- I've seen people pasting the text inside a plain text editor, then adventuring themselves writing the html tags so they'll have a 'clean code'. How to avoid that? Changing the WYSIWYG editor? KompoZer seems fine!- What would you change in this two simple pages? http://notasdeaula.org and http://notasdeaula.o...r_01-11-11.html ?

Edited by Da Rossa

hey, whats up? i readed your topic, and it seems that you used a lot of tables, which isnt bad, but i would do it a little different. and if your changing your wysiwyg i would say use joomla, since its easy to manage and use, umm thats my opinion tho, if you need help i dont mind giving a hand just inbox me with your hotmail or yahoo id, since im hardly on here and more on those two, well enjoy i hope this help, for any other question you can ask me on yahoo or msn "i am not a pro, but im decent"

hey, whats up? i readed your topic, and it seems that you used a lot of tables, which isnt bad, but i would do it a little different. and if your changing your wysiwyg i would say use joomla, since its easy to manage and use, umm thats my opinion tho, if you need help i dont mind giving a hand just inbox me with your hotmail or yahoo id, since im hardly on here and more on those two, well enjoy i hope this help, for any other question you can ask me on yahoo or msn "i am not a pro, but im decent
Thanks for your opínion, but I'm still thinking of changing the way things are created... That tables I use a lot are only in the index page, but the main content are the class notes you access by clicking any of those links in the very-populated table. Take a look, for instance, at this: http://notasdeaula.org/dir8/direito_administrativo2_14-09-11.html Don't mind about the language, just have in mind the ammount of text and the way it is done. If you take a look at the source, you'll see a lot of unnecessary html code...

For your intended purpose, I don't think the "extra" or "unclean" markup is going to be a big deal. Obviously, if this were a professional site you were trying to display to the world, you would want to make sure your markup was clean and valid. But since you're only sharing this with friends and classmates for the purpose of sharing notes, the markup is not too important. The focus is more on content. That said, if you really want to try to clean it up a little, I definitely recommend finding something other than Word to type it out in. As you mentioned others have told you, it is typically not a good idea to paste stuff from Word. Word uses a lot of special characters, like the infamous smart quotes (The curly ones that face one direction or the other to "wrap" words and sentences. I tried pasting them in here but apparently this forum converts them to normal quotes).The other thing you can do is get rid of your WYSIWYG editor. This takes away the quickness and "ease" of generating your code, but WYSIWYGs are notorious for creating bad code.

Edited by ShadowMage

Well, my site was originally created to be presented to my classmates, but it quickly spread to all the city, and some other cities in my country. I often get thanks and feedback by e-mail. And, nevertheless, I always wanted a GOOD thing, because I like perfection, as much as I can get :P What would you recommend for me to do the typing? I need Word because of the spellchecking features. I also do the rich-text formatting such as bold, italics, links, bulleted and numbered lists, and so on. This is all pasted onto the WYSIWYG editor. Speaking of them, you said

The other thing you can do is get rid of your WYSIWYG editor. This takes away the quickness and "ease" of generating your code, but WYSIWYGs are notorious for creating bad code.
Are there no exceptions? Not even Dreamweaver, WYSIWYG Web Builder 8, KompoZer itself, Microsoft Expression Web??

What would you recommend for me to do the typing? I need Word because of the spellchecking features. I also do the rich-text formatting such as bold, italics, links, bulleted and numbered lists, and so on.
Honestly....I'm not sure. :P If you need the spellchecking and formatting features, you're limited to word processors and unfortunately most word processors are going to use special characters. AFAIK, there aren't any regular text editors that offer the formatting options (some offer spellchecking, but it probably won't be automatic like Word).You can, however, go into the settings for Word and disable some of the characters (like the smart quotes) which will help. There is also the option of typing everything in a text editor (like Notepad) and copy/pasting that into Word for the formatting, but that's not necessarily a great solution either. Maybe just forget I mentioned ditching Word. xD
Are there no exceptions? Not even Dreamweaver, WYSIWYG Web Builder 8, KompoZer itself, Microsoft Expression Web??
In my experience? No. WYSIWYGs are terrible at generating code. And I think most experienced developers here will agree. In other words, short of writing your HTML from scratch or manually cleaning up the generated code, there really isn't anything you can do.