Can anyone give me tips to clean up code?

bobeye

hey all, im really new to this and could really do with some help, it would be hugely appreciated!i have a toggle type setup for a list of live events but i cant seem to find an easier way or cleaner way to use it, any ideas? here is the code im using at the moment, sorry in advance for the way this is done! i need the setup to have neat slide down tables of info. Code as follows: <script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[var Current = "Div1";function Toggle(obj) {if(Current != obj) {document.getElementById(Current).style.display = "none";document.getElementById(obj).style.display = "block";Current = obj;}}// ]]></script><p style="text-align: center;"><em><strong><span style="background-color: #ffffff;"><a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div1'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Monday</span></a> | <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div2'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Tuesday</span></a> | <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div3'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Wednesday</span></a>| <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div4'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Thursday</span></a>| <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div5'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Friday</span></a> | <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div6'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Saturday</span></a> | <a href="#" onclick="Toggle('Div7'); return false;"><span style="background-color: #ffffff;">Sunday</span></a></span></strong></em></p><div id="Div1" style="display: none;"><table border="0" rules="all" align="center"><tbody> For some reason when i click monday it actually does nothing, but if i click tuesday, then monday the info is there??

When the page loads, you set Current = "Div1" which is also the id you're passing into the function from Monday. The if statement only executes the code if Current is not equal to obj. Try initializing Current as an empty string instead. (ie, Current = "")

You can't use Current="" with if condition as document.getElementById(Current).style.display = "none"; will return null value. You have to bypass the if condition on the first click of a link when Current is equal to "". and we know that the first selected link should show it's specific div so we create a else condition to do just that

var Current = "";function Toggle(obj) { if(Current != obj && Current != "") {document.getElementById(Current).style.display = "none";document.getElementById(obj).style.display = "block";}else{document.getElementById(obj).style.display = "block";}Current = obj;}

Archived