totally confused with search tool!

bobeye

hey folks,im totally confused with trying to create a search section on my home page which allows users to narrow their search by using small drop boxes, ie, <select country>, then, <select city> and so on.its a pretty big part of my site so iv been searching for a long while now trying to figure it out.anyone know how to do this?

well im not sure how to take my normal search bar, which is just type a word and get 100 results, and give it the dropboxes to let a user choose a section, in this case an country then city, then press search to give more specific results.

I suppose you are familiar with a server side language like PHP or ASP right? In that case you'll get the values from the input fields (the text and the select areas) and just add the country/city etc in your query. I'd provide you a sample of the script but i am only familiar with prepared statements, if you need it badly though (and can't write it completely from your own with some guidance) i'll do it.

this is what i have right now....<div style="margin-middle:-.8em;"><form style="float: right" action="{path}pages/site-search"><inputclass="search-query" style="border:1px solid #DCDCDC; vertical-align: middle;" name="query" value=""/><input src="{path}files/search-icon.png" type="image" style="border: 1px solid #FAFAFA; vertical-align: middle;"/></form></div>

This just the HTML it doesn't do anything with data. You need to use a server-side language like PHP to process it. You didn't mention if you are familiar with it (php) or ASP. Also, are you using a CMS or your website is made from scratch?

oh yeah, sorry, haha.to be honest i really dont know much about PHP, i am fairly new to this.im using 'livesite', so i started with a template, so it was more a matter of editing everything, iv checked their site but they dont answer many questions iv posted.im not even sure where to access my php files.

In that case making a functional searching script would require a lot of work from you. You got dynamic content in your website right? If you do there should be php files and a database. Could you provide a link to the website?

i viewed the search that my page came with in filezilla, it was the most confusing thing iv ever seen, i assume i can get a php viewer so it opens in a readable/editable file?i do have dynamic section, it lets me put php into it but do i need to enter code to style it, i put code in there and created a dynamic region, but when i entered it to a page style it didnt show, but i only had the php and no other code.

Archived