Correct MIME Headers for Mail::factory

ProblemHelpPlease

I am not sure of the correct way to use headers when sending mail over SMTP from within PHP. I was using PHP mail but now need to use SMTP authenification to send mail from within the code. The message body is currently using

$messagebody = rtrim(chunk_split(base64_encode($messagebody)));

So the headers need the correct encoding setting which was

$headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0" . "\r\n";$headers .= "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64" . "\r\n";$headers .= "Content-type:text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" . "\r\n";

when I was using PHP. How is this set when using SMTP as they require an array and do I need to call or set something else first.

Yes, I am required to use the PEAR mail package to enable me to access SMTP due to the way the hosting is setup. I was previously using php mail so have not had any experience of using PEAR.I have a working test page for the mail but the code will be processing many different areas of a website and sending some important emails out so I need to be sure it is working correctly and its not my email client that is self correcting badly formed headers for me.

One example of sending a mail is here, except to be correct the example should use this to initialize the headers array before it adds headers to it: $headers = array(); http://pear.php.net/...l.mail.send.php You can also initialize and set the values at the same time:

$headers = array(  'From' => 'test@test.com',  'Subject' => 'Test');

I understand how to format the basic headers so they are in an array, my problem is I dont know what the correct way to set the relevant mime and content type headers is for an email that is base64 encoded when using pear mail. I dont want to pass headers to the pear mail script that it cant understand but I cant find any informtion that tells me what headers are accepted or what the correct format or order should be.I will try and post my current script when I get a chance.

Any mail server is allowed to add any header it wants. There is a defined list of headers that have a specific meaning in the email specs, but the spec specifically allows anything to be sent. If the mail client doesn't recognize a header it ignores it.

Archived