Text outside of a tag

Sikroth

Hello everybody; I have a quick question: Is it possible (and by possible I mean valid and correct) to place some text without a container tag? For example this code (assuming header is well written, etc).

<body>  	<p>This text is inside a paragraph and is valid</p>  	This text is placed directly on the body. Is it valid?  </body>

Would it be valid XHTML? Thanks in advance, and sorry if my english is bad!

It depends on <doctype!> used, Transitional doctype would be fine, Strict would throw a invalid warning stating it should be within a block element container as in <p> or <div>, BUT not! inline element as <span>, <strong> or <em>.
Okay, that's what I thought. I had a bit of a discussion with a friend about the subject, because he usually works with transitional XHTML and therefore had no problems with text directly on the body, but I told him to always place it inside a paragraph :P. Thank you!
.... and your english is perfect!!
Thanks! It's good to know :D

I had a bit of a discussion with a friend about the subject, because he usually works with transitional XHTML
I think you already win the argument right there...
Is it possible (and by possible I mean valid and correct)
Transitional should not be used for any new development, it was only included to help out older sites that were long past their prime but still wanted to validate. Transitional in this cases implies transitioning from no DTD to a Strict DTD.

Archived