My xsl:if work without using > how is that possible

tojo

Hello! Below is listed both the xslt stylesheet and the xml source document.What I find somewhat strange is that I can use this xslt instruction which work fine <xsl:if test="@age > 110">without replacing > for >Can somebody explain that ? Xslt stylesheet****************** <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:template match="/" > <html> <head> <title>Age check on Characters</title> </head> <body> <h3>The recorded age is unusually high. Please check original data.</h3> <xsl:apply-templates select="/Characters/Character" /> </body> </html> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="Character"> <xsl:if test="@age > 110"> <p> <b><xsl:value-of select="."/></b> is older than expected. Please check if this character's age, <b><xsl:value-of select="@age" /></b> is correct </p> </xsl:if> </xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet> Xml source document***************************<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?><Characters> <Character age="99">Julius Caesar</Character> <Character age="23">Anne Boleyn</Character> <Character age="41">George Washington</Character> <Character age="45">Martin Luther</Character> <Character age="800">Mathuselah</Character> <Character age="119">Moses</Character> <Character age="50">Asterix</Character></Characters>//Tony

Well any XSLT stylesheet is an XML document so it follows XML syntax rules and with XML the two characters you need to escape are "&" and "<" as "&" respectively "<" as long as they are not used as part of markup (i.e. an character or entity reference with "&" respectively a tag delimiter with "<"). The ">" sign can (and some say) should be escaped but it is not strictly necessary to follow XML well-formedness rules.

Archived