Jparallax jquery no movement

Guest alchemlst

Guest alchemlst

Hi I am new to jquery and jparallax.I have been following the tutorials on the jparallax page: http://webdev.stephband.info/parallax.htmland been looking at the source of demo: http://webdev.stephband.info/parallax_demos.htmland have been trying to implement this into a site I am creating for a friend. My parallax attempt can be found here: http://greenavenueshull.atwebpages.com/parallax.html If you look at the source it is all pretty self explanatory.The images "bf01.png" and "bf02.png" are the 2 butterflies, 01 being blue, 02 being purple, they are both right by each other but as you can see only the blue butterfly is visible, and it does not move a lá parallax. I have been reading and writing and rewriting...I just cant see what I am doing wrong. Can anybody please help?

Guest alchemlst

Doing my best, jumping in at the deep end a bit I am newb all around. I played around a bit, managed to get both butterflies up, so i hope that was the syntax error there.I am writing in notepad plus so not got much error correcting going on. Is the parallax effect achieved by the size of the parallax layers in relation to the parallax div? I am trying to get it working with default values for the moment.

Your browser will tell you about errors, check the links in my signature for information on the developer consoles in the various browsers. From what I can tell it looks like the size of each layer image dictates how fast it moves relative to the others, and all layers need to be larger than the window.

Guest alchemlst

Well I was hoping for some help.You obviously see what is wrong with my code, but instead of choosing to help, your are choosing to make my life difficult, and further, by wanting to rub peoples faces into your tagline.Well done you oh classical master learner, thank you for choosing not to impart knowledge on a help forum, thank you for showing me the finger and telling me to learn it the hard way, undoubtedly how you did of course.

Wow. I answered all of your questions. Apparently you weren't checking errors before, so I pointed you towards instructions about how to do that in whatever browser you use. You're not going to learn anything if I just point out that there was an extra comma in your code, you'll learn if I show you how to find the error messages in your browser and figure out what they mean. If I just tell you what the errors are then the only thing you learn is to come here and ask a question when you have an error. You should be able to figure those out yourself, so that's what I am (was) trying to do. The current code doesn't have any syntax errors, so that's been resolved. You asked how the parallax effect is achieved, and I took the time to read the site you linked to so I could answer that question. It's a problem that all of your images are the same size, according to what I read there, so I pointed that out. That's the kind of help I am (was) willing to provide, so if you don't think that's helpful and would rather burn your bridges then it's too bad you took it as an insult or whatever else. Good luck.

Guest alchemlst

No I spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to get it working.I have no idea about the extra comma in the code I have and had, as I stated, changed it and moved it around so many times I do not even know what I did to get it working, I downloaded plug-ins from your tag line to see if they helped, they did nothing for me, they certainly did not tell me there was an extra comma.Of course you could have easily said, look there, an extra comma, but no the only help you wanted to provide was your over-inflated, do it my way or the high-way attitude.I asked for help, help was available, and you withheld it. And me, I got it working after much frustration and I get to write reviews of websites wherever I so please. Now then, how do I close my account here?

Knowing how to debug your own code isn't "my way", it's the only way. I'm not going to apologize for trying to teach people how to debug their own code. I'm happy to help anyone learn how to use the debugging tools that come with their browser, but if you're unwilling or unable to go through that then I don't have much else to offer you. I would be happy to delete your account for you though.

No I spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to get it working.I have no idea about the extra comma in the code I have and had, as I stated, changed it and moved it around so many times I do not even know what I did to get it working, I downloaded plug-ins from your tag line to see if they helped, they did nothing for me, they certainly did not tell me there was an extra comma.Of course you could have easily said, look there, an extra comma, but no the only help you wanted to provide was your over-inflated, do it my way or the high-way attitude.I asked for help, help was available, and you withheld it. And me, I got it working after much frustration and I get to write reviews of websites wherever I so please. Now then, how do I close my account here?
for what it's worth, any of us would have said the same thing. to check for errors first, and come back with specific examples of what you've done and what you've tried. plus you are using outside javascript resources, which not everyone here is guaranteed to know. Try and be a little more patient. You certainly won't get far if you aren't. as mentioned, checking for errors in the console is absolutely the first step towards figuring out your problems (debugging). However, given your lack of respect and unwillingness to participate accordingly in a community based forum where we encourage people to figure things out for themselves, then you don't give us much incentive to help you out in return. Every modern web browsers has an error console built in. nothing to download. Just open it and look (JSG even said that). syntax errors would be there. logic errors though actually force you to think. if that's not your bag, then don't expect people here to do it for you. but, if you plan on having this reaction to every person who tries to help you and doesn't just feed you the answers, it's probably simplest if you just don't come back.

Guest alchemlst

Who asked for an apology? "Wow". About closing this account....? Or are you about to tell me to leave it open indefinitely and just not to return?

for what it's worth, any of us would have said the same thing. to check for errors first, and come back with specific examples of what you've done and what you've tried. plus you are using outside javascript resources, which not everyone here is guaranteed to know. Try and be a little more patient. You certainly won't get far if you aren't. as mentioned, checking for errors in the console is absolutely the first step towards figuring out your problems (debugging). However, given your lack of respect and unwillingness to participate accordingly in a community based forum where we encourage people to figure things out for themselves, then you don't give us much incentive to help you out in return. Every modern web browsers has an error console built in. nothing to download. Just open it and look (JSG even said that). syntax errors would be there. logic errors though actually force you to think. if that's not your bag, then don't expect people here to do it for you. but, if you plan on having this reaction to every person who tries to help you and doesn't just feed you the answers, it's probably simplest if you just don't come back.
If you actually believed what you said I doubt you would have gone to the effort to write all that. I promise I did not read it all, I skimmed and got the gist.I used the firebug, I tried the chrome developer tools, his suggestions, they showed me nothing. I don't know how to use them, learning would take me longer than it needs to for this simple little project I am doing for a friend. I am not trying to be the world coding master. A simple little pointer is all I required.He knew the answer and he held it back and basically said "go learn like I did, like pros do, no easy short cuts for you". You cannot deny that this is what has happened. If you think that's how to teach, that's your prerogative, do not apologise for who you are and the way you think.I am telling you, I found your suggestions useless, your method plain backwards and your kindness and willingness to help none-existent.

Archived