PHP and database retrieval with drop down box

redsent

I have a php page where i would like a drop down box populated with items from the database. When a certain item from a data base is selected in the drop down box the corresponding values from that line of the database appear in a table below it. The code i have so far is as follows: The drop down box works fine, but when i add in the rest of the code after the "echo '</select>';" line it doesn't work. Like wise if i remove the drop down box and use a select all and remove "AND program_name = $va" the page works fine. Just can't get it to work together. Any thoughs would be appreciated, Cheers.

<?php$dbselect = ("dbname");$con = mysql_connect("localhost","username","password");mysql_set_charset('utf8',$con);if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db($dbselect, $con);$QuerySelects = "SELECT program_name FROM program_names";$Query = mysql_query($QuerySelects) or die (mysql_errno() . ": " . mysql_error(). "\n");echo '<label>Select Store:</label>';echo '<select id="program_name"  name="program_name">';echo '<option value="">Select Store</option>';while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($Query)){$va = $row['program_name'];echo "<option value='$va'>$va</option>";}echo '</select>';$QuerySelects1 = "SELECT * FROM offers1 WHERE end_date>CURDATE() AND program_name = $va";$Query1 = mysql_query($QuerySelects1) or die (mysql_errno() . ": " . mysql_error(). "\n");include ('variables.php');while($result=mysql_fetch_assoc($Query1)) {echo"<div class='spacerbox'><div class='outerbox eviecodes'><div><div class='topbox'>  <div class='leftbox'>   <div class='offerimage'>    <div class='progdiv'><a class='progname' href=".$url." target='_blank'>".$program_name."</a></div></div>  </div>  <div class='rightbox'><div class='descbox boxwidth'><h1>   <a href=".$url." target='_blank'>".$description." at ".$program_name."</a></h1></div>  <div class='voubox boxwidth'><h2 class='vvv'>Voucher Code:<span class='vcode'>".$code."</span ></h2></div> </div></div><div class='linkbox boxwidthl'>   <a href=".$url." target='_blank'>To Take Advantage of this offer at <span class='prodname'>".$program_name."</span>, click here!</a>  </div><div class='expires'><span class='end'>Expires:</span> <span>".$dateformat."</span ></div><div class='socialbox'>{module Tell A Friend Module}</div></div><div class='spacer'></div></div></div>";}?>

what is not working as you intended? is there any error?

I can't get it to use the item that is selceted in the drop down box as the variable $va in the bit where it then queries the data base to retrieve only the line in the able that match the program_name with vaiable $va. variable $va would be the result of the drop down box

echo '<label>Select Store:</label>';echo '<select id="program_name"  name="program_name">';echo '<option value="va">Select Store</option>'; while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($Query)){$va = $row['program_name'];echo "<option value=''>$va</option>";}echo '</select>'; $QuerySelects1 = "SELECT * FROM offers1 WHERE end_date>CURDATE() AND program_name = '$va'";$Query1 = mysql_query($QuerySelects1) or die (mysql_errno() . ": " . mysql_error(). "\n");

you need to set its value too

echo "<option value='$val'>$va</option>";

yes it will evaluate its value in option so thus in drop down and you can use that when you will submit the form. it will be avaliable in $_GET or $_POST superglobal array depending on your form's method attribute.

Archived