custom CMS or open source CMS

jimfog

I am building a web app. And i am facing a dilemma whether should i make a custom CMS or use open source(joomla, wordpress etc) I have concluded that it should be a custom one(better suited for my needs) but i need other opinions too. Here is the situation: The site is for me-not for a customer-the customers will just be able to log into the back end and use the services of the web app. I want to have total control to the design and features of the web app and that is why I am opting for a custom cms, the customers will log in into the backend to do specific tasks-no need to do things such as adding modules as is the case with joomla for example. Nonetheless i am not 100% sure this is the route to follow. The other days someone told me that i could use open source and just modify it extensively since the open source will have addressed issues such as security that I might "miss" in constructing my CMS, and that i should rely on the experience of other developers in that matter and not begin from scratch. What is your opinion about the matter? Open source CMS offer many features which in my case I just do not need.

I would recommend a already built system and just modify it to your needs. But if you're not in a hurry, want a custom one built for your needs and not other things, and don't mind reinventing the wheel, then go for the custom one.I have built my own CMS as well, but I did it mostly because i saw it as an opportunity for the experience of building one and was doing it for one of my hobby sites so there was no time constraints.

custom CMS would be better, since you get to add and remove what you want from it, without having to go about converting your webpages according to an open source,

I would recommend a already built system and just modify it to your needs. But if you're not in a hurry, want a custom one built for your needs and not other things, and don't mind reinventing the wheel, then go for the custom one. I have built my own CMS as well, but I did it mostly because i saw it as an opportunity for the experience of building one and was doing it for one of my hobby sites so there was no time constraints.
I try that onces, sad to say i failed lol, then again i had no knowledge on what im doing, so pretty much im going to try again in the future

No there is no time constrain, yes i am interested for the experience very much. Building a cms from scratch from the beginning is not so daunting in this case since the client will do 3-4 specific things and not deal with bunch of other someone can do in an open source CMS. The only thing that worries me is security,open source CMS developers have spent time dealing with this(more or less), i am afraid relying solely on my knowledge in this field-it would be like an experiment in the beginning and when the product reaches production level it must be very good secure from threats. The only concern is security.

You won't get all the security concerns in one go, I would do some research on it and try to make it as secure as you can make it.

If you're confident of your abilities, you can make your own. Otherwise, use another one and manipulate it. Open source systems always have documentation for developers so you just have to look it up to learn how to add, remove or change features.

A strong argument for making a CMS of my own is that i want to learn-abilities are learned in the way, by trial and error. Any way i am building a calendar.as it is made evident in other posts, when i will finish it, then i will have to make a decision either continues making a CMS of my ownor "patch" it to an open source CMS.

I think you mean modify an existing CMS. Patching implies you are applying fixes/updates to existing code that has a bug in it (that is running on productions or is in active use).

I think you mean modify an existing CMS. Patching implies you are applying fixes/updates to existing code that has a bug in it (that is running on productions or is in active use).
That is why I put the the word patching in quote-i should use a better word,sorry.

Archived