date.timezone directive not working

farse

A search on date.timezone produced no results on this forum, but I have seen this topic discussed somewhere---now forgotten site. In trying to set up PHP 5.3 with a 5.3 php.ini file, I got the following error message: "Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Denver' for 'MST/-7.0/no DST' instead in /home/content/81/9100081/html/lindamoor/adminlist.inc.php on line 3" I included "date.timezone = 'New York'" in my ini file, checked with info.php to see that it was set and still got the same error message. Repeated attempts, including different references (Phoenix & Denver) never eliminated the message. Without being able to change the memory limit with php.ini, I had to abandon 5.2 and revert to 5.2. Can anyone enlighten me?

Edited by farse

I took my cue from what must have been an earlier list of acceptable values and from the server's default php.ini timezone, which displayed as "Denver" with no "America/" prefix. I will certainly try "America/New_York" and will be delighted with the new functions available in 5.3 when it works. (I'll be back if it doesn't work.) Thank you much.