Quick HTML5 Question

divinedesigns1

hello, how you guys doing?i have a quick question, which im unsure of ok in html5, theres new tags like header, footer, nav etc, so i end up being curious of how these things work, so i went and did something like this

<html><head><title></title><style type="text/css">nav {background:blue;height:50px;width:auto;}</style></head><body><nav></nav><div id="jusates"><header></header><div id="imbored"></div></div><footer></footer>

but that did not work 0.o well not in IE 9 that is, kindly do not tell me IE9 does not support html5 "i know it support some of the html5 elements" is this one of the unsupported elements? by the way, i am just testing this out, im not actually using it "do not know javascript" so wouldnt use something until i learn it. but it would be good to know if i did something wrong tho

html5 STILL needs doctype <!doctype html> OR IE requires STILL requires doctype, as if you look as crappy IE9, crappy development tools it shows as being in 'quirks mode' not IE crappy standards to make me work like much better browsers mode.

Edited by dsonesuk

html5 STILL needs doctype <!doctype html> OR IE requires STILL requires doctype, as if you look as crappy IE9, crappy development tools it shows as being in 'quirks mode' not IE crappy standards to make me work like much better browsers mode.
hehehe, yea but did i style it correctly?

Well I was going to say nav being a block element, would not require width: auto; But! apparently its a inline element, but it acts as block? Oh hang on! they now called phrasing (broadly equiv to inline), and flow (broadly equiv to block), great!

still dont get it :glare: to my book, on my other laptop *attackkkkkkkkkkkk*

? are you talking about the nav, header footer layout setup, or css styling, the styling is fine for modern browser FF, O, Chrome, Safari, and newer version of you know..IE9, older IE browsers won't recognise these new elements, unless you use javascript to create these elements (google) the layout seems fine! but you could use <section></section> instead of #imbored element.

oh alright, now i got it, and the #imbored was for the content ill keep messing with it, now i gotta download GC blaaaaah IE YOU SUCKKKKKK