Oracle

divinedesigns1

ok, so i been reading up about oracle and i still dont understand it, well i understand what it does but when it comes to the database im totally lost, im trying to connect a excel file to the oracle "once again there's no option of me being able to say no to the client". anyway i was ask to connect this excel sheet to oracle so when theres an update on the excel sheet, the data in the excel sheet is uploaded to the oracle how do i do this? i have an account on oracle already but just the database is killing me

• Like 2

If you can have a PHP instance constantly running on the server, you can use libevent to monitor the file, and instantly connect to Oracle using the OCI8 or PDO extensions.Otherwise, cron jobs will do too, but this will mean having a delay between the file and DB updates.Either way, if using PHP, you can use Excel's COM API with PHP's COM class.If the Excel file is on a client's computer, it might be wiser to create an add-on for Excel that will contain a button for updating the DB. The add-on itself can be written in VBA (as a macro embedded in the file itself) or .NET (as part of Excel itself).

yea i was thinking about using php, but the software the guy in the office is using only uses oracle, i still dont get how it only uses that one program only

PHP has extensions for Oracle (linked above), so that's not really a problem. The bigger challenge is parsing the Excel file, which can happen in various (yet never trivial) ways.

now my oracle is giving me an error saying its missing the key_xe.reg file "im starting to hate this software"