Editing site html files without having to download them

jtwalter

I currently am helping a friend with his website that is built in Joomla and requires updates several times a week, but to make the process more efficient, I was going to redo the pages from scratch with some php scripts. The plus side of Joomla is that I can update from any computer if I am out of town as long as there is an internet connection. But if I build this from scratch, it would require that I download the html/php files via FTP, edit them, and re-upload. Is there any online service that can allow you to log in, access your files, edit them, and save them, all online? Thank you for any info!

Edited by jtwalter

I use FileZilla and it's free. It allows you to edit on your server. All you need is a logon to your FTP.

Edited by niche

Yeah but I'm looking for a way where I can hop on a random computer and open the file online just like you would in Joomla, without having to download an ftp client. I kind of doubt this exists but still hoping!

Guest So Called

How would you avoid taking down the entire site if you make a mistake? At least with FTP you can FTP the old files back and restore the site.

Some hosting CPanels come with online file managers that allows you to access the server like you would with FTP and you can also edit your files. I guess you could use one of those.