IE breaks layout

afish674

Hi I have actually posted this before, but I'm not sure I was specific enough with my question so I didn't get any replies. Internet explorer (ver 9 and presumably earlier) completely ruins my layout. Whereas its fine in all other browsers. I can't for the life of me work out what it is. Any help massively appreciated as I'm well and truelly stuck. Link:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13032629/MumMatters%28HTML5%29/testimonials/testimonials.html Thank you!

• Like 2

IE requires <!DOCTYPE html> to work like the other better browsers, your site shows as working in Quirkes mode meaning it is not using !doctype, but if you look at IE through its developer tools the doctype is commented out as in

<!-- doctype html -->

The only thing is that your 'doctype' is in lowercase, whereas its usually defined as uppercase, so try defining in uppercase instead <!DOCTYPE html>. Also It may be because it is not at top of page so you might want to try that as well.

Edited by dsonesuk

Thanks dsonesuk, it appears that for some reason the Dreamweaver template (which uses commented code to define it's boundaries) had wrapped around the doctype declaration instead of being inside it which caused IE to mess up. There is still a layout issue however. On this page http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13032629/MumMatters%28HTML5%29/index-mirror.html(which I used as the basis for my template master) the nav bar is incorrectly positioned, and causes the header to expand which in turn makes the page scroll as well. Why is this happening? Works fine in all other browsers. Thanks again.

Think I've solved it. I changed the stork so that it was absolutely positioned instead of relatively positioned and made the parent container relatively positioned. That made it consistant between browsers. Then I just lined them up by adjusting the margins.