What is your development system configuration?

birbal

Please,here share your computer configuration you work on or use for software development. please try to be as detailed as possible. if it is more than one system feel free to add them too.

• Like 5

do you develop in laptop? i can see two huge screen on your avatar. i thought that is where you work on.

I work with a MacBook Pro, running OSX Snow Leopard. (and external monitor at work) I work with Eclipse for work projects, and Netbeans for personal projects. I use VirtualBox to run Windows (XP/7, IE7,8,9) for when the need arises.

I work with a MacBook Pro, running OSX Snow Leopard. (and external monitor at work)
dont you feel uncomfortable working on laptop/netbook?
That's one of my computers, 2 28" monitors with a really powerful computer,
i am curious to know its configuration.

I'll try to remember when I get home. It's got a quad-core Intel CPU, can't remember which model, I think 4GB of RAM, maybe 8, 2 SSD hard drives (1 OCZ Agility 3, another built in the motherboard), a 2TB SATA drive, an Nvidia... something or other, uhh.. a nice, shiny case. Some speakers... got a mouse, too.

dont you feel uncomfortable working on laptop/netbook?
not in the least. MBP's are pretty powerful, and have the advantage of being portable, which allows me to work from home, or anywhere for that matter.

To add to my post above, this computer has an Intel i5-2500K CPU, 8GB of RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 580, and a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD motherboard. My monitors are made by Hanns-G. I based it off this configuration at Tom's Hardware, except I have 1 video card instead of 2 to save money (they were around $500 each at the time, and it gives me a cheap and easy upgrade in the future for more gaming power). http://www.tomshardw...ndation-58.html

I use a desktop with a solid state hard drive, two 19" monitors with a intel 7 cpu 960 @ 3.2 Ghz that runs win 7 64 bit. Most of that I don't consider particularly relevant except the two monitor part. I don't like to work with one monitor. I think my localhost from wampserver and my browsers are the most important parts of my computer. I used to take some pride in having at least the next newest hardware, but not any more. It's all about the code now and it seems that all I really need is a reliable system that I now something about. My point of view is based on my work which is completely linked to help business owners recognize the value of a minute in a digital economy. For the most part, most owners think 10% better than last year is pretty good and they think they have a whole year to do it. EDIT: Loosely translated that means that information flows like animals down a cow path in most businesses. Connecting a cow path to a sixteen lane super internet highway, is bound to kill some herbivores unless there's a quick intervention. Code gets emphasized in these situations and the hardware doesn't. Code will run on almost anything although I haven't tested that thought on my first computer that's in the attic. It's a IBM 8088 (original IBM PC), that I bought in 1984, when I got out of the Army.

Edited by niche

Loosely translated that means that information flows like animals down a cow path in most businesses. Connecting a cow path to a sixteen lane super internet highway, is bound to kill some herbivores unless there's a quick intervention.
Being a dairy farmer, I find this analogy to be quite amusing... :P

All the old man said said, when asked about the difference between now and then, "Same circus. Different clowns". Life's inherently funny. I'm glad you liked it ShadowMage.

At all places, I have Windows. Windows 7 at home and work, Windows Server 2008 R2 at my server. The server itself is also sometimes acting as my development machine, thanks to the fact it's not under a heavy load.I use IIS 7.5 on the server, Apache 2.2 at home. PHP 5.3.8 and the latest GA release of MySQL on the server and at home. I plan to upgrade Apache and PHP when all extensions I use have binaries distributed, and I'm currently missing my most beloved one - the HTTP extension.In terms of hardware, I have 3GB RAM and 1TB HDD on all computers, Intel Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz and NVidia G-Force 9600GT at home, Intel Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz and an Intel video card (on the motherboard) on the server. I don't remember the exact motherboards (and seeing them without actually opening the computer isn't exactly trivial), but I think they were all by Gigabyte. 1Gbs LAN cards on all motherboards, although at home, I use a separate 100MBps one, because my motherboard's LAN got fried by an electrical surge (which is a semi-frequent event around here). Not that this is in any way relevant, since our ISP at work offers 100MBps, less at the server, and even less at home.At work, we resell the internet, which why it's the highest there. The server has pretty much the download as I have at home, but a significantly better upload.

Do you think it would hyjack this topic to talk about servers? EDIT: If so, I can start a new topic.

Edited by niche

Do you think it would hyjack this topic to talk about servers? EDIT: If so, I can start a new topic.
If you're going to talk about a server machine that you already have - no. Keep it here.if you're going to talk about recommendations for what server machine you should buy - yes, you should start a new topic... although a general guideline is to disregard the video card, buy as much CPU and RAM as you can afford, and get an ISP with higher upload speeds (even if the download is low). If you have something more specific in mind, start a topic.

I don't have a system worthy of mention except that I have been very happy with my two trayless sata bays. I can easily swap out disks and this provides a very flexible scheme. I'm not sure but it might have been this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001

Edited by davej

Dell Inspiron 570, AMD AnthlonII x4 2.7 GHz procesor, 6 Gigs of RAM, and a 750GB hard drive duel booting to Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 LST. I also have a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop, we won't talk about that cause it's not my proudest machine, and an Aspire One netbook with a c-50 1GHz duel core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, and a 320GB HD with no OS.. because OSes are for NOOBS!! :P

Guest So Called

I've done all my development using a modest laptop, text editor, FTP and shared hosting account. I have several various domains and subdomains that I can use for testing without requiring my live site to be down.

Guest So Called

I made my first website on Geocities almost 20 years ago (1994). Back then there weren't a lot of choices for how to develop web pages. Another benefit is I think they had invented only about two dozen HTML tags, a lot easier to remember so few of them... ;):P CSS was easy back then too. Basically, there wasn't any. It was only just being adopted and wasn't popular until later.