Question about design. Gimp & Photoshop related

SnakesBite101

hey all. I'm striving to learn web related stuff. i dont want to master anything just yet, but i want to be a jack of all trades for now. i'd like to have good knowledge in all (designing, developing. programing etc..) but not be an expert in any. this is for now, with years i hope i get all. i was trying to figure out skills and the software tools i need to be a good web designer. please list them for me if you can. i was told i need to be good with graphics, it will greatly improve my layouts etc.. so i ask, what are the benefits and differences between photoshop and gimp? i don't want to be a photographer who works with pictures etc.. i just want something that improves layouts.. or also something that edits pictures. i struggle to zero results with clip:shape( ) in CSS when i need to cut a pic into size. so being able to edit pics without css would be a nice option. also i want something that can create fancy looking navigation menus and buttons to make it clear as that might be hard to answer. the main things are: a) which software programs can aid a designer to make great looking website layouts?B) why is a software program needed. Can't CSS achieve equal results?c) which software programs can create great looking navigation bars and buttons etcd) once you've made a navigation bar outside of your html document, how is it possible to insert it into your html document? what methods are used?e) can gimp and photoshop achieve all these things? what other programs do i need to be a good web designer?f) any good tutorial sites you can recommend?

I think you're starting from a false premise. You need to consider that technology is always changing and coding has as much to do with training your mind to recognize patterns and think quickly as it does with display. You see, it's not the programs that enable you as much as how you think about those programs. I read about techniques and applications of code that are new to me everyday at this forum. The mere act of working on something for an extended period can't help, but make you better than you thought you could be. Hang around, ask questions about your code, post lots of code and you'll probably learn that coders are guaranteed to have enough of what they need for the rest of their life. Why do anything and close the door on the possibility of being great at it? EDIT: Do the tutorials: html, css, php, mysql, javascript. You'll need them all and then some.

Edited by niche

You need to start with just text editor (like Notepad), so you can grab the basis... For graphics, emmmmmm... photoshop is ok for Raster (?), while corelDraw is good for Vector (?)...I dont know about gimp, but its also a Raster graphics software (just like photoshop), but photoshop is better (My own opinion).

Edited by CodeName

You need to start with just text editor (like Notepad), so you can grab the basis... For graphics, emmmmmm... photoshop is ok for Raster (?), while corelDraw is good for Vector (?)...I dont know about gimp, but its also a Raster graphics software (just like photoshop), but photoshop is better (My own opinion).
can you tell me about flash please. it that for raster or is that something totally different? when i had to reformat i couldnt view pages unless i installed flashed also is notepad++ the same as notepad being a text document but with more features? is this worth a download?

can you tell me about flash please. it that for raster or is that something totally different? when i had to reformat i couldnt view pages unless i installed flashed
It's a vector/raster animation software, used to create animations. It manipulates vector/raster graphics, to create an animation (Like moveable images).