Adding user input to a webpage

prashanth12

Hi, I am new to HTML/CSS and I wanted to add a user input section to a web page where the user can type in a text note in a form (or something like that) and have it show up on the page. It can be kind of like a simple blog. I need the text entry amount to be basically unlimited (not a 100 or 500 character max). Can someone point me in the right direction?

HTML can't save anything. You will need to learn a server-side language. Server-side languages only work on servers that support them, so you can't just make a file on your desktop for it, you need to install a server onto your computer. The most popular server-side language on the forum is PHP.

If the site is hosted through a third party hosting company, then do I still need to add the webserver? They mention something about PHP and MySQL databases that you can add on the control hosting center dashboard where I manage the site from. Does this mean that they already have the necessary server software installed on their computers where my site is hosted? (Sorry if the question is too obvious-- I'm pretty new to web stuff).

Guest So Called

Yes, that's why people pay for shared hosting services. They provide everything including the server, PHP, MySQL...

Unless you want to develop everything live, you'll want some kind of localhost.

Javascript can't save information. All it can do is change what is visible on the page at the moment for the particular user that is viewing the page.