Renaming files

Craig Hopson

hi guys have this code which works file but i need to rename the file after its converted (xxxx.png to xxxx.jpg)

$originalimg = test.png$srcImg = imagecreatefrompng($originalimg);    imagejpeg($srcImg,$originalimg,100);    imagedestroy($srcImg);

yes i looked at that but if the file name changes like

$originalimg = $_GET['img']; $srcImg = imagecreatefrompng($originalimg);		imagejpeg($srcImg,$originalimg,100);		imagedestroy($srcImg);

how would i just change the extension from .png to .jpg but keep the file name the same

Edited by Craig Hopson

yes i looked at that but if the file name changes like
$originalimg = $_GET['img']; $srcImg = imagecreatefrompng($originalimg);		imagejpeg($srcImg,$originalimg,100);		imagedestroy($srcImg);

how would i just change the extension from .png to .jpg but keep the file name the same

I see, just rename it to jpg or jpeg instead png or just change the name then saving the file and remove the old one.

ok i done this is it correct or is there a better way??

$srcImg = imagecreatefrompng($originalimg);    imagejpeg($srcImg,$originalimg,100);    imagedestroy($srcImg);    $NewName = str_replace(".png",".jpg",$originalimg);    rename($originalimg,$NewName);

ok i done this is it correct or is there a better way??
$srcImg = imagecreatefrompng($originalimg);	imagejpeg($srcImg,$originalimg,100);	imagedestroy($srcImg);	$NewName = str_replace(".png",".jpg",$originalimg);	rename($originalimg,$NewName);

What works until someone has .png in the filename and not as an extension. Try with explode and take away everything after the last dot.

Thanks do you have example
$newfile = explode(".",$originalimg);array_pop($newfile);$newfile = implode(".",$newfile) . ".png";rename($originalimg, $newfile);

• Like 1

hi bit different problem but same topic so here goes, this code will change Avatar.png to Avatar1339516953.png

$filename .= time();

how would i get 1339516953_Avatar.png

$filename=time() . '_avatar.png';

• Like 1

hi bit different problem but same topic so here goes, this code will change Avatar.png to Avatar1339516953.png
$filename .= time();

how would i get 1339516953_Avatar.png

are you sure it wouldn't actually change it to Avatar.png1339516953? Unless there's something you're leaving out of the picture... to answer your question though,
$filename = time() . '_' . $filename;

Edited by thescientist

yes there is another variable $ext holding the extension thanks i have sorted it like this

$filenameA   =   time() . '_'.$filename;$filename    =  $filenameA;

Edited by Craig Hopson

You can get the extension, as well as the base name and directory name of a file with the pathinfo() function, which should significantly ease what you're trying to do.You could just do:

$filename_parts = pathinfo($filename, PATHINFO_BASENAME | PATHINFO_EXTENSION);$filename_parts['basename'] = time() . '_' . $filename_parts['basename'];$filename = implode('.', $filename_parts);

Guest So Called
cos that was the only way i could get it to do what i wanted
Why not this?
$filename   =   time() . '_'.$filename;