character encoding

melcebu

on the first page i used the doctype <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtmll-transitional.dtd"> when i tried to check this in the validator it would not work so i changed to the recomended<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">this was ok in the validator but it told me the character encoding was wrong, both of these seem to work when i published the site so what i need to know is as i will only doing this for fun and not as a pro is does this really matter. if i do need the coding recomended as utf-8 does it go as part of the doctype.

The character encoding isn't related to the <!DOCTYPE> declaration but you do need to stick with the right declaration. The first one you showed is wrong. You can use whichever encoding you want, the validator probably is just warning you that you haven't declared a character set on the client side. You can add a <meta> tag for that:

<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

can i buy or download anything that will do the coding automatic on notepad as most of the stuff i've done was copied and pasted from microsoft word one page took me ages to put in all the codes,

Edited by melcebu

Microsoft Word is one of the worst possible ways to make a website. The proper way to make a website is to write all the code yourself. No good web developer or designer lets a program make the code for them because programs always do it wrong.

sorry i think i worded that wrong what i meant is that i put everything down on word then copied it to notebook before saving as html, i tried the 30 day trial of dreamweaver but apart from the cost decided as i was only doing this for fun using a cut and paste method would be defeating the object anyway i seem to be learning something new every day this way.