encryption_key SOLVED with thanks in final post

niche

I downloaded Sourceforge's point of sale system and I haven't been able to logon to it. The password, they gave, doesn't work and I'm wondering if it has to do with something called an "encryption_key" that I think is somehow connected to something called "codelighter". Anyway, I don't use an encryption_key and would like to know how you'd respond if you were told this and you didn't use an encryption_key either ? : "Modify application/config/config.php encryption key with your own" And the relevant part of application/config/config.php says" /*|--------------------------------------------------------------------------| Encryption Key|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|| If you use the Encryption class or the Session class you| MUST set an encryption key. See the user guide for info.|*/ $config['encryption_key'] = 'PUT_YOUR_ENCRYPTION_KEY_HERE';

Edited by niche
  • Like 2

Guest So Called

It sounds to me like it's similar to phpMyAdmin where you need to enter some unique key that only you know, so that your installation can't be easily hacked. How about trying something there and see if that does the job? I use a Microsoft utility called GUIDgen to generate long unique keys. That's actually what it's for. You can download it free from Microsoft. You can Google GUID if you don't know what it is. Oh, by the way, did you RTFM? :) :) :)

Edited by So Called

Only a newbie wouldn't have read the manual before posting. The info in the application/config/config.php specifically says "If you use the Encryption class or the Session class..." I've tried commenting that line out and setting the value to '' without success. They have a forum that looks like they might get back to you so I thought I'd ask around here. If something comes to mind please let me know. In the meantime, I'll start coding our new POS scripts. This is why I'd rather make instead of buy even when it's free.

Edited by niche

You'll need to figure out how to verify if you're using those things. It sounds like you are, but that's not a reason not to verify it. You probably want to do a search and find every place that the code uses the variable that you're trying to set so that you can figure out what it's used for.

• Like 1

Guest So Called

Easy, easy, I was just asking. That's why all the winkies! :);) (BTW I always read the manual last if nothing else works. Same thing with putting together furniture.) :) Okay, the password doesn't work. How about downloading again and get another password? If everything else fails, go back to square one and start over. SourceForge is pretty good. I've been hanging around there for years... However, projects vary...

• Like 1

Winkies noted. Turns out I the problem was I was reading the manual. My notepad displayed this instruction: "8. LOGIN using username: admin password:pointofsale9. Enjoy" Turns out it was supposed to read: "8. LOGIN using username: admin password:pointofsale9. Enjoy" Who would of thunk? So Called, keep reminding me to read the docs and I'll avoid being too close to my question. Thanks to you too justsomeguy for reminding me to verify what the code's doing.

Edited by niche

Guest So Called

I'm glad you solved it. At least in the programming business you always know there is some solution somewhere. All it takes is bashing your head against the wall enough times.

We have to always minimize our self inflicted wounds. It always surprises me how much good a walk around the block can do.

• Like 1