making buttons with <li>

ThatJeeves

Hello. I have a website which has buttons created with <ul> and <li>. The <ul> is inside a div-container. If I insert margin: 0 auto to the <ul> inside my stylesheet, the li automatically spans automatically on the width. Is this SEO-friendly? I also discovered, that I don't need to specify list-style-type: none when coding it like this. The button to the li has disappeared. Let me give an example of the CSS-code. Maybe you will understand easier. ul {margin: 0 auto;} li {padding: 20px;width: 200px;list-style-type: none;} #menydiv {border: solid 1px;} (I don't specify and width in the menydiv. I have also specified list-style-type none to the <li even though I discovered it disappeared by itself when coding it like this.)

CSS has nothing to do with search engine optimization. The crawler doesn't care how wide your links are or where they are located. For the purpose of removing redundant code, you probably don't need that <div> element since the <ul> is already acting as the container for the list items.

Guest So Called

It's interesting to note that looking at my logs I see all the web crawlers indexing my content pages, and when I use external CSS files they rarely even access the CSS. Occasionally they do, or otherwise they wouldn't be able to produce a preview image like Google often does (right side of page >> small preview image). So the answer is that other than previews search engines do not care what your CSS is like. They're indexing only your content, not what form you put your content in.