two hierarchical nested lists linked together

caruga

I'm wondering if css supports a solution to this problem, or whether I need something like javascript (and if I do need js, whether someone can point me to a link that will get me started on the solution I'm looking for). I'd like to automatically have the members of a list (table of contents) be links to a bookmark within the page, presumably using the number as the name of the anchor. This would mate together content and chapter headings. e.g. there would be a TOC like so: 1. blah2. blah2.1. blah blah2.2. blah blah2.2.1. blah blah blah And when I build the list with <ol> and <li> it would automatically insert the metadata around it: <a href="#2.1.">blah blah</a> and down below, a separate list under a separate class that also uses counters would exist, and would have <a name="2.1">blah blah</a>

Hmm, looks like I will need js from what i've been reading. Right now I'm more bewildered about merely getting the counters to work. It seems you can't target specific instances of a counter that share the same identifier. If I have: .digest ol { counter-reset: n; } .digest li:before { counter-increment: n; content: counters(n,'.')'. '; } .digest li { display: block; } and: <ol class="digest"> <li>test 1</li> <li>test 2</li> <ol> <li>test 3</li> <li>test 4</li> </ol> <ol> <li>test 5</li> <li>test 6</li> </ol> I get:1. test 12. test 22.1. test 32.2. test 42.1. test 52.2. test 6 If I increment inside ol it skews all the numbers. What I want is: 1.2.2.1.2.2.3.1.3.2. EDIT: seems i'm forced to nest within an ol within the li element.

Edited by caruga