Sending Mail using PHP

Meriakh

So I've coded this short php snippet to test if I can send emails from my server. I set up the smtp server and opened ports on my firewall/router. I also set up my php.ini file with what I think are the correct inputs. I then restarted both the smtp and apache servers. When I run this code it outputs "Mail Sent!", but I am getting nothing sent to my email address. Is there something I am missing here?

<?php$to = "user1@gmail.com";$subject = "HTML email";$message = "Hi";// Always set content-type when sending HTML email$headers = "MIME-Version: 1.0" . "\r\n";$headers .= "Content-type:text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" . "\r\n";// More headers$headers .= 'From: user2@gmail.com' . "\r\n";if(mail($to,$subject,$message ,$headers)){    echo "Mail Sent!";}else{    echo "Mail Failed to be sent";}?>

Guest So Called

Reduce it to the minimum:

mail("user1@gmail.com","subject","message,"")

I think you'll find your problem is downstream, just a hunch. IOW your local server configuration or related. If you have a local host SMTP server then try configuring your email client to connect through that. You said you restarted your SMTP server... I don't know why you even need one, since you probably have to connect that to your ISP. You could probably connect to your ISP directly from Apache/PHP.

Decided to try to use pear to send my emails and have come up with this code. Installed pear and pear mail.

<?php include "C:/php/pear/Mail.php"; require_once "Mail.php";  $from = "user1@gmail.com>"; $to = "user2@yahoo.com>"; $subject = "Hi!"; $body = "Hi,\n\nHow are you?";  $host = "ssl://smtp.gmail.com"; $port = "465"; $username = "user1@gmail.com"; $password = "pass";  $headers = array ('From' => $from,   'To' => $to,   'Subject' => $subject); $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',   array ('host' => $host,	 'port' => $port,	 'auth' => true,	 'username' => $username,	 'password' => $password)); $mail = $smtp->send($to, $headers, $body); if (PEAR::isError($mail)) {   echo("<p>" . $mail->getMessage() . "</p>");  } else {   echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");  } ?>

and I am getting caught at this line in particular:

$mail = $smtp->send($to, $headers, $body);

Guess I'm wondering what could be causing this line not to run - I am at a bit of a loss here. Opened port 465 in my firewall/router, restarted apache. I've seen some very similar code online, so not sure what makes what I'm doing different. I am on a Windows XP box btw.

So I turned on the error log for php. Managed to get some interesting output but haven't decided what to make of it yet. [23-Jun-2012 22:38:27] PHP Warning: include_once(Net/SMTP.php) [<a href='function.include-once'>function.include-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 348[23-Jun-2012 22:38:27] PHP Warning: include_once() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening 'Net/SMTP.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\php\pear\') in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 348[23-Jun-2012 22:38:27] PHP Fatal error: Class 'Net_SMTP' not found in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 349[23-Jun-2012 22:38:28] PHP Warning: include_once(Net/SMTP.php) [<a href='function.include-once'>function.include-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 348[23-Jun-2012 22:38:28] PHP Warning: include_once() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening 'Net/SMTP.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\php\pear\') in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 348[23-Jun-2012 22:38:28] PHP Fatal error: Class 'Net_SMTP' not found in C:\php\PEAR\Mail\smtp.php on line 349[23-Jun-2012 22:38:36] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: mail in C:\website\mailpractice.php on line 32

it means that file you are trying to include is not there. you have to make sure it is there