yes,I'm a newbie...I've been reading w3schools about PHP, btutvcan't get it

Guest Keytone

Guest Keytone

Hi everyone, I've gotten HTML, some CSS and some javascript. I'm trying to learn some php.I've read and experimeted with what I find at W3Schools and think I understand it, but I'm missing something. How to put it into practical use. Maybe I'm just dense or something.Is there another place t learn from? John

Define yourself a goal of some sort... like try to make a blogging system, a contact form or something else that you couldn't previously do with only HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Try to break it down to the kinds of things the tutorial talks about. If you can break it down successfully, it means you've found at least one practical use for the stuff in the tutorial.The other good place to learn PHP is at the PHP manual itself, but that's not oriented for "practical" use... I mean, there are very few, if any, "how to"s. It's oriented at exhausting the theoretical possibilities ("strings have this syntax, arrays have that syntax;you have functions A, B, C....; function A takes arguments x, y and z, function B takes;...").

Boen Robot is on point. Without a purpose learning to code is like trying to learn a foreign language without using it. If you went to a country without money and their language, I'm pretty sure you'd have some command of their language by the end of the day for obvious reasons. Coding is a lot like that. No purpose means no learning. Weak purpose means some learning. If it's a matter of providing for yourself and the people you care most about, the average guy will learn the code he needs awfully fast. Guaranteed. Once your purpose gets ignited, there will be no stop to your learning. If it's any help, coders are guaranteed to have enough of what they need for the rest of their lives.

Edited by niche