Thoughts on my 2nd Practise webpage?

SnakesBite101

Please read 1st Hi guys this page is not finished yet. so i know its incomplete, i just want thoughts and opinions. i didnt want to post my 1st webpage because i was just practising using margins, positioning etc... now i'm comfortable with those features i wanted to concentrate on design. now this is only a test page, i will not be turning it into a site so most of it's content is filler material i thought of during that moment. so please don't be too critical on things like that. i would like opinions on looks, layout, basically the design. i know there are a lot of colours which i was told is not a good idea. Any suggestions on what i should do better?what i should stop doing?Any good techniques i dont use that could help?? http://www.defdefinedgaming.byethost16.com/ Problems at the very end is one problem i ran into. that silly iFrame ran out of the main contents container. i put a border-bottom to show you where this happens. ive tried everything to correct this but its not working. ive tried: Padding-bottommargin-bottomset its container height to 100% it just won't hold that iframe, instead it messes up and repositions all the other elements in the div container. this is what is preventing me from completing the site. But hey i dont want the focus of this to be a help thread, i might make another for that. i just want opinions on the web page. Thanks

Edited by SnakesBite101

hey i fixed the issue. the link is now up above ^^^ the results are best in Explorer which is what i tested the page on. firefox messes up my ad on the bottom right by not giving it the margin-top i added. any ideas why? thanks all

1) The first thing you look at on your page is not you content. It is the ad, at least for me.2) WAY to busy. My eyes do not flow across the page, I find my eyes jumping to content instead of easily flowing from top to bottom.3) I feel there are no many navigation buttons... You have a horizontal nav bar AND a vertical.

• Like 1

my suggestions are:

1. horizal buttons are way too big, i suggest making them a little smaller
  2. page is too dark and bluee, i would suggest a light blue like baby blue, etc or a lighter color
  3. that thing on the upper left corner, its kinda a bad picture to place there, i can see its kinda losing its pixels
  4. the vertical buttons on the right, can also be smaller, well i think all your buttons can be smaller and the removal of the white & blue border around them.
  5. the "User Features" title or tab on the right, can be align with the profile picture
  6. and last but not least, i think you need a sticky footer, because the youtube video passed the ending of the content and i can see the yellow line, which to me states that, thats where the content div ends ( if im wrong, my bad ).

anyway thats my suggestions, if you wish i can do it again after you make your changes well later

my suggestions are:
  1. horizal buttons are way too big, i suggest making them a little smaller
  2. page is too dark and bluee, i would suggest a light blue like baby blue, etc or a lighter color
  3. that thing on the upper left corner, its kinda a bad picture to place there, i can see its kinda losing its pixels
  4. the vertical buttons on the right, can also be smaller, well i think all your buttons can be smaller and the removal of the white & blue border around them.
  5. the "User Features" title or tab on the right, can be align with the profile picture
  6. and last but not least, i think you need a sticky footer, because the youtube video passed the ending of the content and i can see the yellow line, which to me states that, thats where the content div ends ( if im wrong, my bad ).

anyway thats my suggestions, if you wish i can do it again after you make your changes well later

thanks guys. hey on 6) you are right. in my 1st post i said that the video is whats making me not complete the site. which is why i put the yellow border, bottom of the page container to show how that video went outside of it. the containers height is 100% so i dont know why this happened. margin and padding doesnt fix it. thank you for your points i will make all changes. very tough to spend time on the page because im trying to learn javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 at the same time:(

thanks guys. hey on 6) you are right. in my 1st post i said that the video is whats making me not complete the site. which is why i put the yellow border, bottom of the page container to show how that video went outside of it. the containers height is 100% so i dont know why this happened. margin and padding doesnt fix it. thank you for your points i will make all changes. very tough to spend time on the page because im trying to learn javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 at the same time:(
you can add a sticky footer which will push the content footer down and the content would go along with the footer, i can help you out a little with the sticky footer if you wish "explainning it well thats something im not good at hehehehehehe"

• 2 weeks later...
you can add a sticky footer which will push the content footer down and the content would go along with the footer, i can help you out a little with the sticky footer if you wish "explainning it well thats something im not good at hehehehehehe"
hey sorry i didnt see your last message. sure i would love some help to fix that issue. i havent even touched or modified the site since then as ive been just studying Javascript. With the bad design of the site, i probably won't touch it again, but it would be nice to know hot to fix the issue

well ill post the code in your inbox and try my best to explain it as much as i can if not your going to have to get someone to explain it to you, since im horrible when it comes to explainning stuff

I tried it in FF13, Chrome20, and IE8 and thought they all looked very similar. All the buttons were rather large. Also when you scrunch the width of the page things start overlapping, which doesn't look good.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it in FF13, Chrome20, and IE8 and thought they all looked very similar. All the buttons were rather large. Also when you scrunch the width of the page things start overlapping, which doesn't look good.
can i stop that happening by using max-height, max-width etc..? i used position relative or absolute. is fixed a better choice?ill definately not use those types of buttons again. just checking to see what i could do. ill start a new page and try and make it look a lot more readable and well thought out. thanks Edited by SnakesBite101