can someone please show me how this is done

SnakesBite101

looks simple but i cant get it: // this function uses the if blocks to // handle the optional parameters. // Change it to use the default operator instead. function sumValues(val1, val2, val3) { if (val1 === undefined) { val1 = 0; } if (val2 === undefined) { val2 = 0; } if (val3 === undefined) { val3 = 0; } return val1 + val2 + val3;}

What happens when you use the function?
3 values are going to be passed into the function and calculated. like : var addnums = sumValues(3, 5, 6) <-- sumValues is the name of the function and it returns addition... return val1 + val2 + val3;

no, what literally happens when you run the function. are you checking for errors? are you debugging your function to test what is happening?

im not sure. how the function would work wasnt clear. the whole code wasnt written. it was a task in a tutorial. the aim of what i was instructed to do is to learn to replace if statements with either ternary or default operators. they gave 1 example, then set this task. here's the example: if (min === undefined) {min = 1;}// becomes simplymin = min || 1; var contactInfo;if (email) {contactInfo = email;} else if (phone) {contactInfo = phone;} else if (streetAddress) {contactInfo = streetAddress;}// is greatly shortened tovar contactInfo = email || phone || streetAddress;

Edited by SnakesBite101

let me try to explain: function sumValues(val1, val2, val3) {if (val1 === undefined) {val1 = 0;} if (val2 === undefined) {val2 = 0;} if (val3 === undefined) {val3 = 0;}return val1 + val2 + val3;} the function is expecting 3 values(numbers) to be passed in for addition. like this, var addnums = sumValues(3, 5, 6) .. the IF statement means if a number is left out. like if i only pass val 1 and 2 but not 3. var addnums = sumValues(3, 5) <--- if val3 === undefined {value3 = 0}. they want me to use the default operator instead of the IF statement to set the value of any arguments that are left undefined to 0.

Edited by SnakesBite101

Just to point out, these two are not equivalent:

if (min === undefined) {min = 1;}// becomes simply min = min || 1;
If min is 0, the first piece of code will not change it, the second one will. This will be equivalent: min = min === undefined ? 1 : min; Hopefully you can use that example to do the other replacements.
  • Like 1