Is photoshop really neccesary for a great website

baragan

every time i see a great websites like CNN i see some Photoshop and other software aspects in them my question is this, do i really have to use not necessarily Photoshop but other devices to make my website look great? The reason i am asking this question is because i have studied most of my webdesign through avenues like w3school and i have not learned much of other additional stuff for improving my images for example. that's why i am asking for your take on the matter to see whether i really need to study these "additional stuff". thanks

• Like 2

Hi baragan,I agree with justsomeguy. But however, I personally think that Adobe Photoshop plays a very crucial role for any Good Website. I would say YES, Adobe Photoshop in essential to develop a Good and Attractive Website.

photoshop is not essential but has advantages. There is reason people use photoshop. with photoshop you can draw your layout and change it with ease. once you have fixed your layout you can check you color sceheme is working good or not, you can experiment with fonts and other components in the page and can make change when you feel nescceray. but you cant do those if you draw layouts in your mind or in paper. you will not have anything to refer back when you build it. if you just start writing html/css counter part you need to do more work to make change and experiment. and it is true you cant finalize one design in one shot. you will feel to change often to adjust things. also with the power of PS you can edit and add effects on your page and slice it out when you will import them to html/css in once place.

I completely agree with JSG. You'll never need one specific set of tools. The only thing required for any website is a text editor. IMO the only time you'll ever need to use an image editor like Photoshop is...well...when you have images on your site. Like a personal logo or some such. Personally, I don't think Photoshop should ever be used to design and draw your page. If anything, sketch out the layout of the page but don't mess around with colors or fonts. That stuff can be experimented with in CSS (and far more easily, too, IMO). If you get the "perfect" design drawn up in Photoshop, it's likely to be tempting to just cut the image apart and use it as the background for your site rather than using CSS to achieve the same (or very similar) result, which is rarely a good idea.

A great website is one that provides the information you need. No Photoshop necessary. Now maybe if you want a "beautiful and artistic" website you will need Photoshop and a person with artistic talent... But for most websites that just need simple resizing, cropping, thumbnailing, and tweaking of photos something as simple as Irfanview will work fine.

Edited by davej

thanks for the advice. so for now i can live comfortably without ps but i will surely try to learn a thing or two about it later so that i can try out birbals' method.

Edited by baragan