Making password display as *** without affecting the initial value

RFSumerall

I'm styling a login, and I've just about got it. I've run into a problem, and I can't find anything helpful on the issue. I has the values for the form set to "Username" and "Password" to prompt users. I already have onfocus and onblur affecting it. How can I change the input type to password when a user inputs their password? Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily asking for the code itself. I would love an article/reference website that I can learn from. Thanks,Rebecca Here is the code I have:

<div id="login">	  <form method=post action="http://host.onlineprintsolutions.com/gandyprinters/login.asp">	  <input onfocus="if(this.value == 'Username'){this.value = '';}" type="text" onblur="if(this.value == ''){this.value='Username';}" id="name" value="Username" />	  <input onfocus="if(this.value == 'Password'){this.value = '';}" type="text" onblur="if(this.value == ''){this.value='Password';}" id="name" value="Password" />	  <input class="clsSubmit" type=submit value="Go" id=submit1 name=submit1 onClick="if ((user.value=='') && (password.value=='')){alert('Please enter your user name & password');return false}">	  </form></div>

you can change the this.value property on event. when it focus make it "password" else "text"

or you can just use HTML input type="password"http://www.w3schools..._input_type.asp edit: nm, read to fast and thought you were looking for password obfuscation

Edited by thescientist

nm, read to fast and thought you were looking for password obfuscation
I've read it about 8 times and that's still what it sounds like OP is looking for.... :umnik2:Apparently I'm missing something though, because it seems the issue is resolved.

She's trying to toggle the field between "text" and "password", so that when it is "text" she can display the word "Password" inside the field as a label instead of having a label outside the field. Focusing the field would change the input type from text to password and remove the text already in it.

I've read it about 8 times and that's still what it sounds like OP is looking for.... :umnik2:Apparently I'm missing something though, because it seems the issue is resolved.
well, rereading the topic title suggests i was right... but the post suggests they were asking another problem altogether
Making password display as *** without affecting the initial value