How to pass this to an event handler?

tinfanide

<script type="text/javascript" src="a.js"></script><script>func("f");function f(){alert("this is a function.");}</script>

// a.jsfunction func(a){document.body.onmousedown = a;}

I want to pass "f" to the handler in the file a.js.But it says

// IE debugger SCRIPT5007: Unable to set value of the property 'onmousedown': object is null or undefined

Well, no error in your code tho, but the only thing you aint doing right, is that you are passing a string ('f') into the func function, instead of a reference. It should be:
func(f) // without quotes!

This doesn't work.I think the problem mainly lies in the a.js filewheredocument.body returns null (of course there is no document.body within the a.js file) It seems that I cannot store the mouse event in a seperate JS file.

Yes. It works.Thanks for you all discussing this code.

<script type="text/javascript" src="a.js"></script><script> // passing a function does not need quotes ("")func(f);function f(){alert("this is a function.");}</script> // a.jsfunction func(a){   // It seems that after loading the HTML document, loading the js file precedes loading the document.body.   // It seems that that's why document.body is null when loading this js file   document.onmousedown = a;}