notepad won't "Save As" .html or .htm

Carin B

Hi I'm Carin and I'm new here and new to "writing .html" i love your site and want to learn.After following the instructions and writing the .html code in my computer's notepad it won't allow me to save as .html or .htm. The only options I have are .txt and then it saysEncoding:ANSIUNICODEUNICODE BIG ENDIANOR UTF-8Can someone please help me, I have no idea what this means.Thanks

Where it says ".txt", it should be a dropdown menu. If you click the arrow next to it, the other option should be "All files". Press that, and then whatever name you give your file, that will be it - no ".txt" added to it.As far as encoding goes, change that to UTF-8 instead, and in your HTML's head, add

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

(it's hard to explain right now... you'll get it when you reach PHP)BTW, any "HTML editor" will do the trick too, not just Notepad++.

• Like 1

The trick with Notepad is to type out the whole file name + its extension.Even though the drop down menu doesn't say .html you can still name your file "welcome.html" and it will save as a regular .html file.Same goes for .css, .php, etc. ~Krewe

• Like 1

The trick with Notepad is to type out the whole file name + its extension.Even though the drop down menu doesn't say .html you can still name your file "welcome.html" and it will save as a regular .html file.Same goes for .css, .php, etc.
As long as you have the file type drop set to "All files" as Boen pointed out. Otherwise, you'll get a file named "welcome.html.txt"

As long as you have the file type drop set to "All files" as Boen pointed out. Otherwise, you'll get a file named "welcome.html.txt"
Thanks for mentioning that! My default for any program is All files so I never think of that.