server side languages

Little Goat

is there any reason for me to learn multiple server side languages?I pretty much know PHP, and I am learning java.(not javascript) is there any reason for me to do JSP?LG

Oh man...I never replied to your PM, did I. I feel guilty now. So sorry! Server side is a very important topic if you ever want to get down to serious web building. Classes, functions, databases, all important things to do if you ever want to code something like, lets say, an admin panel. It adds a bit of ease to your site too---you don't have to edit HTML for, lets say, a news system. You just make a new PHP or ASP or whatever page, and put a form, and then just fill out the form and submit.I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this better, but I hope you get the gist of it. :)Choco

The only reason to learn more than one server-side language is to increase your own marketability. If you are only doing things for yourself, then you probably don't need more than one, unless it's something you're just interested in. If you are trying to get contract jobs with clients, then the more you know, the more jobs you are going to be qualified for. If someone has a requirement that you use ASP or JSP instead of PHP, then the only way to get the contract is if you know it. The good jobs are where the client lets you choose those types of things, but some of them have their own server they want it on, and they dictate what software you can use.

Oh man...I never replied to your PM, did I. I feel guilty now. So sorry! Server side is a very important topic if you ever want to get down to serious web building. Classes, functions, databases, all important things to do if you ever want to code something like, lets say, an admin panel. It adds a bit of ease to your site too---you don't have to edit HTML for, lets say, a news system. You just make a new PHP or ASP or whatever page, and put a form, and then just fill out the form and submit.I'm sure someone else will be able to explain this better, but I hope you get the gist of it. :)Choco

I don't remember that, what PM? :) well, anyway, I know a little about the server side languages, I just was wondering if there was any advantage of learning more than one.
The only reason to learn more than one server-side language is to increase your own marketability. If you are only doing things for yourself, then you probably don't need more than one, unless it's something you're just interested in. If you are trying to get contract jobs with clients, then the more you know, the more jobs you are going to be qualified for. If someone has a requirement that you use ASP or JSP instead of PHP, then the only way to get the contract is if you know it. The good jobs are where the client lets you choose those types of things, but some of them have their own server they want it on, and they dictate what software you can use.
thanx, both of you, I don't think there are an abundance of people who wan't JSP, so maybe I'll just stick to the PHP. anyway thnx again.LG

yeah to more you learn the more opportunities you have :) I think .net is where all the big bucks is at... i'm heading there now :)

yeah to more you learn the more opportunities you have  :) I think .net is where all the big bucks is at... i'm heading there now  :)

Yup ASP.Net is a great programming language and it is getting bigger everyday. There are tonnes of custom controls, libraries you can download. I ran acroos a AJAX.Net library the other day...it makes using AJAX super easy in your .net pages.ATLAS is the newest .net 'plug-in' it is a framework to allow easy creation of applications like Google Maps

what.net? asp? what .net's are there?LG
There's basically .NET for creating web applications, and .NET for creating desktop applications. If you are creating web applications, you use the ASP.NET controls. But you can still use whatever language, here is a list of which languages you can use to interact with the .NET framework:http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx