What tags to use for logo / slogan?

afish674

Quick question, and one which always confuses me: What tags should you use for your logo text and slogan for optimum SEO? It would seem to me that it shouldn't be <h1> because the logo and slogan are at the top of every page and it therefore defeats the purpose of the h1 tag. But other headings tags I'm also not convinced about, nor having it as <p>. It would seem that html could do with a logo text or company name tag. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Place slogan text within title, meta keywords, meta description, the logo should have alt/title tag with the slogan text, if the logo uses link to home page make sure the slogan is applied to that as well as title or as text between <a href="mysite.com><span>my slogan</span></a> the anchor uses display: block; and logo is used as background image, the text can be hidden from view using css, but will still be seen by SEO search bots.

Thanks, The added problem I have is that i'm trying to make a dynamic width page so my logo is resizing. If I put it as a background image then i'll need to give it a height, this will stop it scaling properly. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13032629/Love%20Spreading%20BGimg/index.html as opposed to https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13032629/Love%20Spreading%20DW/index.html I suppose I could wrap the whole containing div with an anchor in the scaling version, but I don't know if this is a good idea?

CSS3 allows setting width/height even though i have not used it Yet! other than that you can use a img element using position: absolute; with percentage width and height, and place this within anchor element with position: relative; display block, with matching percentage width/height so they will both scale to the parent container.