Twig template variables

rink.attendant.6

I'm not sure how many (or if any) of you are familiar with the Twig templating system, I'm just starting off with it (might as well give it a try I suppose, Smarty seemed to be overkill). Everything has been going well so far, except I'm a bit confused as to whether I'm supposed to have the entire contents of my page in one variable. In the example in the documentation here: http://twig.sensiolabs.org/doc/templates.html , under "My Webpage" it has {{ a_variable }}, which is where all the content goes. My template is similar to that, with a header, sidebar and footer. I'm just wondering whether I'm supposed to put all of the HTML of the main content into one variable and pass it through like that or is there something I'm missing? I plan to use one page to parse everything (the "controller"), just like how WordPress uses one page to display all of the public area of a site through fancy URL rewrites.

I'm just wondering whether I'm supposed to put all of the HTML of the main content into one variable and pass it through like that or is there something I'm missing?
That's how most template engines operate, yes - a generic code base (typically including only the minimal HTML), with further specifics along the way, with the head and body contents typically being the first ones to be considered "more specific". The tricky bit is that the variable itself should be generated via the template engine (Twig in this case).Either that, or the engine needs to somehow allow you to pass control to a different template based on the value of a variable (which would be fixed from the start). The page you link to talks about an "extends" instruction, which extends a base template and can provide input for blocks. Sounds like what you need.