Troubles custom font

Jack McKalling

The font-family at the site of my friend, she wants to customise she says.I explain her how to upload etc, order html to use the correct url for the TTF, but it does not apply on the site, it takes the generic name at the end of the family definition :)

<style>body { font-family:url(my_font.ttf),verdana; }...</style>

What have I done wrong? I have FTP acces to her site now, so I can help her doing it. Here: Pink Valley(currently no font defined)

I believe that the problem with this is that the people who are viewing your page do not have that font installed. That function is calling for a font on their computer which does not exist and so it reverts to default.Edit: I didn't see that you're using a url tag to link to it. Sorry

No. Here is whyTo make fonts for IE you need Microsoft WEFT, which you can download for free here. This will create a font that you can use on the web with the .eot extension. However, this is only for IE, and will not produce the .pfr font that Netscape needs...I have no idea where to get that. Unless someone has another solution of course.

I found this on the w3 site, upload the font to your sitespecify the pathspecify a name to be used

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN"><HTML>  <HEAD>    <TITLE>Font test</TITLE>    <STYLE TYPE="text/css" MEDIA="screen, print">      @font-face {        font-family: "Robson Celtic";        src: url("http://site/fonts/rob-celt")      }      H1 { font-family: "Robson Celtic", serif }    </STYLE>  </HEAD>  <BODY>    <H1> This heading is displayed using Robson Celtic</H1>  </BODY></HTML>

Ah, so you can just upload a font file directly and have it work then. I thought the other way seemed like it was probably too complicated.

Much appreciated by me as well. I didn't think there was a way to display a font that the user didn't have installed and so for the longest time if I wanted a custom font I would just make an image.

i haven't used it before so i can't comment but im sure it must work the w3 would give out duff info :) i notice you put .ttf at the end of the file location, the w3 did not, maybe try removing it....

I see you edit your post. Good, it was nonsens :)Yes, might be it. But in fact, it isn't. It doesn't matter! I think CSS2 is not available here with me, other CSS2 instructions didn;t work either.Using something:first-child doesn't do anything, why?? How come, CSS2 does exist doesn't it?? :)Is this the reason why @font-face does not work with me? I really like to know if I am able to customise my (well, hers :) ) font! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

yea bud thanks..however u may not be able to see pseudoclasses ...its mentioned that IE doesnt support classes like :firstchild ...so its highly doubtful whether @font-face will show any effects....however try installing a new browser and lookin for any changes! ...adios...jackthesoulripper

@font-face is not a pseudo class, it is a CSS2 instruction, but I don't think IE understands CSS2 at all.At least for the version I work with, 6.0 that is.

Edited by Dan The Prof