Two column layout with a wrapper... Columns appear outside although they are written to be inside the wrapper.

sepoto

http://dailysportsguide.com/prototype/index.php
 body { background-color: black; text-align: center; }img { border: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; }a:visited { color: white; } #wrapper { width: 800px; margin: 0px auto; color: white; background-color: red; border: 1px solid white; text-align: left; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; height: auto;} #header { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 100%; height: 141px; }#hcolumnLeft { float: left; width: 300px; background-color: blue; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: white; height: 141px; }#hcolumnRight { float: right; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: white; background-color: green; width: 500px; height: 141px; text-align: right; } #container { width: 100%; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; color: red; background-color: blue; height: auto; }#columnLeft { width: 50%; float: left; color: red; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: yellow;}#columnRight { width: 50%; float: right; color: red; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: white; }

index.php

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title>Daily Sports Guide</title><link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style/style.css"><link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="style/suckerfish.css"></head><body><div id="wrapper"><?php require_once('includes/i_header.php'); ?> <div id="container"><div id="columnLeft"><p>Test p!</p></div><div id="columnRight"><p>Test p!</p></div></div> </div></body></html> 

So clearly I have written #columnLeft and #columnRight to be enclosed inside #wrapper. When I look at the page however the solid white border of #wrapper has not carried down below #columnLeft and #columnRight. In fact #columnLeft and #columnRight appear to be totally outside of #wrapper which is not my intent. Did I perhaps do something wrongly with #container? The height of wrapper should be auto so all the elements should then be contained inside of #wrapper. This is odd. There must be something wrong with my code! Thanks in advance! screenshot2.png

Indeed... Setting #wrapper { overflow: hidden; } and the border is behaving properly now. I will need to familiarize myself with this property and its workings. Thank you both for your prompt replies.