better contact form than this

chownsy

I have been using a contact form made from the website http://www.emailmeform.com/ and I think after making the rest of my site very very nice looking in my eye this is the only bit that detracts its value as the form sends you to a page advertising there product before back to my website. Is there a better form that can hide my email and have captcha on it to prevent spam?

Will you be writing this code or do you want to re-use someone else's code? (Keep in mind the price you're paying right now to re-use someone's email script.)

I would ideally like to use my own code as I have wrote a lot of this website from a blank notepad page, I had a look through the basic HTML code but cant see the way to submit data with out showing my email address (which is a private one) and also how to implement the captcha.

Good answer, please post what you have so far that's relevant to this topic. I'm pretty sure we don't have to disclose your email.

Its pitiful but here you go <form><Table border="1"><tr><td>Name: </td><td><input type="text" name="name" /><br /></td></tr> <tr><td>Email: </td><td><input type="text" name="email" /><br /></td></tr> <tr><td>Subject: </td><td><input type="text" name="subject" /><br /></td></tr> <tr><td>Message: </td><td><input type="text" name="message" /><br /></td></tr></table> <input type="submit" /> </form> I need to CSS format it still, Need to make the submit button work and then display a message I need to make the message area larger. EDIT: If i dont reply tonight Im now out at a Royal British Legion meeting.

Edited by chownsy

Take-out all the reference to tables (they're not needed) and get an action and a method in your form tag. Then post the beginning of your php please (I'd start it with a echo var_dump($_POST). EDIT: Also, don't worry about the css for now.

Edited by niche

OK, but I think you'll find the making the data flow is a bigger deal than the the css or html especially if you put some of the data in a table (assuming these areas aren't your strengths). Plus you'll need to screen your data to avoid hacks and attacks.

Edited by niche

The most important thing you need to learn scripting a language quickly is a meaningful purpose. The second most important thing you need to learn php is a web server or localhost.

Edited by niche

Does PHP need a server no matter what it is doing? The contact form is not going to be going to a database, just sending an email to my email which then I can respond to if needed I just dont want my email address spammed if i was to put it straight onto the site.

thanks niche for that link, Installed it and now job for this weekend is to read the PHP tutorial, make a form I think is decent, test it, post here to get criticism and help and then celebrate a good achievement. If i fail then I have coaxsist link to fall back on. :) thank you again for a prod in the right direction. EDIT: If i am writing the code myself, do I have to download PHP from http://www.php.net/

Edited by chownsy

yes you need to install php as well as a webserver like apache. best will be if you install package LAMP,MAMP,WAMPfor linux,mac,wins or XAMPP