Want to learn PHP - Apache Server Question

Guest mariahswind

Guest mariahswind

I am sorry if this question comes under another topic....I am just in the preliminary stages attempting to teach myself PHP. I have no server/network experience so I feel really lost to a degree. (Basically all I know is HTML and CSS, so if there's something I should learn first before PHP, please advise.)As I need to install Apache Server I need a bit of education along these lines. I've purused the documentation at Apache's website and what I need to know is do I have to register a domain name in order to install it? Documentation says the following regarding installation:1.Network Domain. Enter the DNS domain in which your server is or will be registered in. For example, if your server's full DNS name is server.mydomain.net, you would type mydomain.net here.2. Server Name. Your server's full DNS name. From the example above, you would type server.mydomain.net here.I ask as I plan on only making the server accessible to myself as it allows for here:4. For whom to install Apache Select for All Users, on Port 80, as a Service - Recommended if you'd like your new Apache to listen at port 80 for incoming traffic. It will run as a service (that is, Apache will run even if no one is logged in on the server at the moment) Select only for the Current User, on Port 8080, when started Manually if you'd like to install Apache for your personal experimenting or if you already have another WWW server running on port 80.thank you,mariahswind

No, that is only for people who have hosted websites lol.. Get easyphp or something.. If you check out w3schools tut. on it they have links for everything you need. =]

Apache only needs to know what the server it is running on is called. If you want to install Apache on a development machine on your local network, make sure that machine has a static IP address first. Then you can enter the IP address for both of those questions.If you are only trying to install Apache on a single machine (not access it from across a network), then you can just type in "localhost" in both of those questions.I tell this to everyone else, so if you are serious about learning PHP then I recommend you pick up Programming PHP, it will give you a good indication of what PHP is about.