[T-SQL] Joining two tables

ironcurtain

Hi Everyone, I have two tables: table1: history dayid nofile servername11082012 1 server112082012 1 server213082012 1 server314082012 1 server1* table2 servers: serverName unitserver1 emeaserver2 uaeserver3 emea I wrote a querry to join tables:

select history.dayid,	history.nofile,	history.servername,	servers.unitfrom historyleft joinserversonhistory.servername = servers.serverName

In my case server1* is the same as server1but SQL see that as a different names. Is there a possibility to join the tables without empty cells?I'd like to avoid creating temporary tables. Thank You for answering my question.

If you're going to use that field as a foreign key then the values need to match what is in the other table. There's no reason for the "*" in the name. If you're using the asterisk to indicate something else about that server or record, then make that indicator another field and leave the name field as a foreign key into the other table. You can also add an entry for "server1*" to the servers table but if they are supposed to represent the same machine then it doesn't make sense to duplicate them in the table.

You can use string functions to transform the value if you want to, but if that column is going to be a foreign key then it just makes sense for the data to match. I don't know what all of your data looks like, but you can remove asterisks from the name and compare the rest if you want to do that. Cutting off the last character is possible, but depending on your data that might result in false matches.

• 2 weeks later...