Working with JSON returned from PHP by json_encode();

sepoto

[{"lat":"34.1721","lng":"-118.947","company":"The Bar Cave","street_address1":"XXX Eagle Ridge St.","city":"My City","state":"CA","postal_code":"90007","phone_number":"8055551212","email":"eric.sepich@hotmail.com","website":"","id":"10","twitter":""}]

The first thing that strikes me about how this JSON was returned from PHP is the opening and closing '[' and ']'. So I am trying to figure out how to iterate through this array which actually represents one row of data from my database. I am wondering do I need to first call $.parseJson();? Do the '[' and ']' remain in there? A lot of examples I see don't have those in the JSON. My JavaScript is pretty simple when it comes back it looks like this:

$.ajax({ url: 'ajax.php',		 data: { lat: results[0].geometry.location.lat(), lng: results[0].geometry.location.lng(), radius: radius },		 type: 'post',		 success: function(output) {					  alert(output);					  /* So now that we have the JSON encoded array it					  has to be displayed into one of the div's probably					  below the map someplace */				  }		});

Essentially I am trying to determine the bounds of the JSON array and iterate through each item. So I know for this one that it is one row and I see the elements but it will of course be different each time. What is the accepted way to do this? So I am also familiar with $.each but it does not seem to be processing correctly the array which comes out broken up into bits. Thanks so much....

Edited by sepoto

I figured it out. My first entry comes out like this: lat 34.1721 from:

$.each( {"lat":"34.1721","lng":"-118.947","company":"The Bar Cave","street_address1":"315 Eagle Ridge St.","city":"Newbury Park","state":"CA","postal_code":"91320","phone_number":"8054028072","email":"eric.sepich@hotmail.com","website":"","id":"10","twitter":""}, function(k, v){		alert(k + " " + v );		});

It is a bit tricky the way the examples are but it works way well. Sorry... It must be the midnight oil I am burning... So it looks to me like the [ ]'s need to be stripped off in order for the function to work properly. If someone could enlighten me on why the [ ]'s I would really love that and this question would have been usefull to ask then. Thanks guys...

Edited by sepoto

I believe at this point that the answer to the [ ]'s is in the PHP json_encode doc's under JSON_FORCE_OBJECT. I'm still toying with it. I'm not sure how I came all unraveled... Darn... No.... using JSON_FORCE_OBJECT breaks the $.each.... I'm lost at this point still and I know it all hinges on the [ ]'s which need to come out on the PHP side. Alright.... This took me a while but this is how it should be.... The JSON has to be parsed and then it becomes much easier...

$.ajax({ url: 'ajax.php',         data: { lat: results[0].geometry.location.lat(), lng: results[0].geometry.location.lng(), radius: radius },         type: 'post',         success: function(output) {                    var obj = $.parseJSON(output);                    alert(obj[0].lat);                    /* So now that we have the JSON encoded array it                    has to be displayed into one of the div's probably                    below the map someplace */                                       	                    }        });

Edited by sepoto