Looking for input on a challenging website devolopment.

loJic

Hello. I'm new here and to the web devoloping world. I know the very little basics to create a simple website but joined to hopefully gain the proper knowledge to grow beyond the simplistics. Before I get started on my idea i'll give a brief summary of why i'm looking for some help. I help run a forum for high school soccer throughout the state. I am aslo the statistician who keeps log of all scores, stats and standings. With over 140 schools and close to 2200 players it can get overwhelming having to personally input all the data needed into excel. We have set up a much easier method with Googledocs but it still requires me to do a good bit of work. My vision is to have a website to where coaches/team managers, who are required to login, simply input their own data after each game. Once entered it is then displayed in its right place for viewing. Now the challenge is that I run a power rating and player rating system which I use through excel. Each rating requires simple data but again is very time consuming. Is there a way that once they input the data it is calculated within the website? Basically creating the formula used in excel within the website. I guess my biggest question is what is the reality of me, someone with very simple knowledge, being able to create such a site? Any input is appreciated. Mods if this isn't in the right place I apologize in advance. loJic

Edited by loJic

You betch ya. Based on your OP it will take you at least 4-6 mos doing it yourself. Do the html and css tutorials so you can get some code up as soon as possible.

Edited by niche

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a little trouble with creating a tree dropdown menu from the navigation bar. I think i'm putting in the right html but it's not showing up properly. <li><a href="#">Association</a> <ul> <li><a href="#">About</a></li> <li><a href="#">Member Sign Up</a></li> <li><a href="#">Forms</a> <ul> <li><a href="#">By-Laws</a></li> <li><a href="#">Constitution</a></li> <li><a href="#">Regions</a></li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li> For some reason it's just adding the three sub links in the same dropdown as the others. This is what the CSS looks like. #navbar { border:2px solid white; background-image:url('http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/lojic11/navbar1.jpg'); } #navbar ul { font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 15px; margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style: none; }#navbar ul li { display: block; position: relative; float: left; }#navbar li ul { display: none; }#navbar ul li a { display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #ffffff; border-top: px solid #ffffff; padding: 5px 15px 5px 15px; margin-left: 1px; white-space: nowrap;}#navbar ul li a:hover { background: #1E42CE }#navbar li:hover ul { display: block; position: absolute;}#navbar li:hover li { float: none; font-size: 11px;}#navbar li:hover a { background: #1E42CE}#navbar li:hover li a:hover { background: #f63641; } #navbar ul ul { left: 100%; } #navbar li:hover > ul { display:block; }

Edited by loJic

your lists should start with a <ul> or <ol> tag, not an <li> tag.http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_lists.asp

Edited by thescientist

your lists should start with a <ul> or <ol> tag, not an <li> tag.http://www.w3schools.../html_lists.asp
Sorry, i should have posted the whole code. <div id="navbar"> <ul> <li><a href="">Home</a></li> <li><a href="#">Association</a> <ul> <li><a href="#">About</a></li> <li><a href="#">Member Sign Up</a></li> <li><a href="#">Forms</a> <ul> <li><a href="#">By-Laws</a></li> <li><a href="#">Constitution</a></li> <li><a href="#">Regions</a></li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li></ul></div>