Why does it do this?

SmokingMan

Okay, go to here and hover over the menu bar using IE (don't use FF or Opera, they work correctly). While you're doing that, look at the status bar for the messages. Why does the message disappear at the same time the background image is changing, without having to move the mouse? Something isn't right here :)

I guess I didn't quite clarify. There is no special message in FF or Opera, the menu just works correctly. But in IE there is a flicker every time you hover over any of the sub menu links, and the status bar message only appears for a brief moment, then disappears. When the menu buttons are flickering, I finally caught the status bar message showing that it's downloading the top button background image when you hover over the sub menu links.Now I don't know why it would want to download the top level background images when you hover over the sub menu links. But would using an array to precache the images work to at least help with the delay? That would take care of one headache.

But would using an array to precache the images work to at least help with the delay?  That would take care of one headache.

I don't think so.Your images will already be in my cache and i still see the delay

You know...I looked forever for a menu like this that I could go through and understand, and spruce it up with my own graphics. I looked all over W3C, and with Google, and couldn't find what I was looking for, at least nothing straight forward and fairly easy to understand. They must have kept this hidden from me for reasons unknown :) But this should give me the basic idea as to how to make this menu do what I want.Thanks

I know exactly how you feel, not to long ago i wanted one of these and all examples were of super duper who knows how the heck it works versions. :) Then i stumbled accross this page, it had then menu i needed, easy to understand/configure plus worked on the main 3 :)http://www.w3schools.com/dhtml/dhtml_examples.asp (scroll down to Menus)

With a little customization, this should work fine. I'm not exactly sure how you would do any more sub levels than the one in the menu, but this should do the job for what I'm doing right now. I suppose you would need to do some relative postioning for any more levels. But not right now. That can be a project for a future site :)