Learn HTML 5 - when's the time?

profdontknow

One thing I have noticed is that since I started using HTML 5 I have not really noticed as many limitations with older browsers as I thought. Why? Well because for the most part, you wont really use many of the new features within HTML 5. With Windows 8 out and Microsoft pushing people to move to it, and with android and iOS using webkit and almost all the other browsers up to date, the average person not able to support HTML 5 are big business. So write all your websites in HTML 5, get used to it cause its here to stay and majority of people are ready. But if you find limitations, its easy to solve them (even within a HTML 5 framework). Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I'm just getting started learning html. I want to write strict code (xhtml), but incorporate the new stuff in html5. Seems html5 has the same laxness that html has, compared to xhtml. I guess what I really want is xhtml 5. How do I direct the browser to do this, or is there a way? Thanks.

XHTML is pretty much going to be left behind. The point of XHTML was to allow building parsers easier but since browsers can parse HTML just fine there's no need for it. You're allowed to serialize HTML 5 as XML in what's known as "XHTML 5". Just put the <?xml ?> declaration before the doctype and use XML syntax.

Do not worry about compatibilities. There are no escape from HTML5. How ever some engines have solved the problem. For example read the following article about MathJax engine for HTML5 MathML: MathML – The basics of writing mathematics in a web page And also some features are, in fact, compatible; such as GeoLocation

Edited by m_k_amin

• 5 months later...