Security for post

phpnoob

I was made a post secure for my forum, and now i have time to finish it, but i'm stock and need help.

$post=htmlspecialchars($_POST['post']);$search=array('<?','?>');$replace=array('<?', '?>');echo str_replace($search, $replace, $post);

The problem, if i send a " the code add this \\" <----

• Like 1

It sounds like your server has the magic quotes option enabled. There's no reason to have that option enabled, I don't know why so many servers have it on. Check the top answer here for some code which will remove magic quotes. Just keep in mind it's your responsibility to protect against SQL injection attacks. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2133026/php-how-to-correctly-remove-escaped-quotes-in-arrays-when-magic-quotes-are-on

It sounds like your server has the magic quotes option enabled. There's no reason to have that option enabled, I don't know why so many servers have it on. Check the top answer here for some code which will remove magic quotes. Just keep in mind it's your responsibility to protect against SQL injection attacks. http://stackoverflow...c-quotes-are-on
just wondering, this code enough? or can i remove something?edit:nvm i understand now what you talk :), ok i try your code Edited by phpnoob

i try to add that code, but i have an errorWarning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() ini was add this code

function unMagicQuotify($ar) {  $fixed = array();  foreach ($ar as $key=>$val) {    if (is_array($val)) {	  $fixed[stripslashes($key)] = unMagicQuotify($val);    } else {	  $fixed[stripslashes($key)] = stripslashes($val);    }  }  return $fixed;}$process = array($_GET,$_POST,$_COOKIE,$_REQUEST);$fixed = array();foreach ($process as $index=>$glob) {  $fixed[$index] = unMagicQuotify($glob);}list($_GET,$_POST,$_COOKIE,$_REQUEST) = $fixed;

the error target this pieceforeach ($ar as $key=>$val)

Add this and post what it shows:
echo '<pre>', print_r($_GET, true), print_r($_POST, true), print_r($_COOKIE, true), print_r($_REQUEST, true), '</pre>';

it have some code that i dont want to post here, but i can say it have a 32 long code :)Array( [f] => topicview [p] => 3)Array()Array( [CookieID] => SECRET [phpSESSID] => SECRET)Array( [f] => topicview [p] => 3 [CookieID] => SECRET [phpSESSID] => SECRET) btw in the bottom of the error, it was write arraynot what i post in textarea Edited by phpnoob

I don't see why it would give the warning you showed, there are obviously 4 arrays there.
maybe i put that code in a wrong place? Plz wait, i try something Editit have a main.php, and i include topicview.php
if ($getpage=='forumview'){include "forum/forumview.php"; echo forumview();echo last($start_time);}

all fourview code i was put it in function and i was add your code in fuction, so it have 2 function, maybe i need to add something to the first function?

Edited by phpnoob

not works :(

<?php function topicview(){function unMagicQuotify($ar) {  $fixed = array();  foreach ($ar as $key=>$val) {    if (is_array($val)) {	  $fixed[stripslashes($key)] = unMagicQuotify($val);    } else {	  $fixed[stripslashes($key)] = stripslashes($val);    }  }  return $fixed;}<form action="'.$_SERVER[REQUEST_URI].'" method="post" name="postform"><textarea name="post" rows="15" cols="80"></textarea></div>	  <p /><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Go" /></form>if(!empty($_POST['submit']))	  {	   if (!empty($_POST['post']))	   {			    $post=htmlspecialchars($_POST['post']);$search=array('<?','?>');$replace=array('<?', '?>'); $cleanedpost=str_replace($search, $replace, $post);	    $process = array($cleanedpost);$fixed = array();foreach ($process as $index=>$glob) {$fixed[$index] = unMagicQuotify($glob);} list($cleanedpost) = $fixed;echo $fixed;	   }}

full edited codeerrorWarning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()and in the bottom it say Array in echo $fixed;

Don't change the code from the post, don't move the lines around or add your own code in unless you know what you're doing. And also don't put that code inside a function. The code should run before other code on your page that is going to use anything from $_GET, $_POST, or $_COOKIE. That code removes slashes from the form input. After it finishes then you just use the form input like normal and it won't have the extra slashes.

and in the bottom it say Array in echo $fixed;
Yes, that's what it says when you print an array.

Don't change the code from the post, don't move the lines around or add your own code in unless you know what you're doing. And also don't put that code inside a function. The code should run before other code on your page that is going to use anything from $_GET, $_POST, or $_COOKIE. That code removes slashes from the form input. After it finishes then you just use the form input like normal and it won't have the extra slashes. Yes, that's what it says when you print an array.
Don't change the code from the post, don't move the lines around or add your own code in unless you know what you're doing. And also don't put that code inside a function. The code should run before other code on your page that is going to use anything from $_GET, $_POST, or $_COOKIE. That code removes slashes from the form input. After it finishes then you just use the form input like normal and it won't have the extra slashes. Yes, that's what it says when you print an array.
then where?Config.php
<?php mysql_connect("","","")or die("Error connection");mysql_select_db("")or die();include "include/check.php"; echo check();include "include/login.php"; include "main.php";include "online.php";$start_time = microtime(true);include "page.php";include "pregreplace.php";?>

all php

<?php session_start();include "config.php";$getpage=empty($_GET['listen']) ? header("Location: index.php?listen=news") : mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['listen']); echo onlineindex();if ($getpage=='news'){include "include/news.php";echo news();echo end($start_time);}?>

where can i put that code and what need to do?

Edited by phpnoob

You need to put the code before any other code that is going to use $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE, or $_REQUEST. That code removes slashes from the values in those arrays. So if you're going to use any values from those arrays, and you want the slashes removed, then that code needs to run before the code that gets the values from the arrays. Don't modify the code, just add it to one of your include files so that it runs before any code that uses one of the arrays and then the values in the arrays won't have slashes. You don't do anything with $fixed or any of the other variables in the code.

You need to put the code before any other code that is going to use $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE, or $_REQUEST. That code removes slashes from the values in those arrays. So if you're going to use any values from those arrays, and you want the slashes removed, then that code needs to run before the code that gets the values from the arrays. Don't modify the code, just add it to one of your include files so that it runs before any code that uses one of the arrays and then the values in the arrays won't have slashes. You don't do anything with $fixed or any of the other variables in the code.
i figure it out, i was put it in config.php, and before include check.php, thx for helping :)

Look at what the function does and decide if you need it: http://www.php.net/m...pecialchars.php
i was read that page in 1 year ago, and now again, and now i modified the code, is this enough? and can hack it?htmlspecialchars($post, ENT_QUOTES)i want to protect the most knowed hack tactic, is my code enough for that? like xss Edited by phpnoob

i was read that page in 1 year ago, and now again, and now i modified the code, is this enough? and can hack it?
The point justsomeguy is trying to get at is that there's no universal "enough" way to deal with input.It depends on what you're about to do with the given input.If you're about to write it as part of HTML output, htmlspecialchars() is enough to turn the input into plain text, and thus protext your users from XSS attacks.If you're about to insert this into a database, that's not enough at all, and in fact, should not be used to begin with. You must use something like mysqli_real_escape_string() instead of htmlspecialchars().

The point justsomeguy is trying to get at is that there's no universal "enough" way to deal with input. It depends on what you're about to do with the given input. If you're about to write it as part of HTML output, htmlspecialchars() is enough to turn the input into plain text, and thus protext your users from XSS attacks. If you're about to insert this into a database, that's not enough at all, and in fact, should not be used to begin with. You must use something like mysqli_real_escape_string() instead of htmlspecialchars().
forum posting secure, and mysql database Edited by phpnoob

?You didn't catch a word of what I said, did you?
i was read it, but a little bit confused, that why i post that.
If you're about to write it as part of HTML output, htmlspecialchars() is enough to turn the input into plain text, and thus protext your users from XSS attacks.
this one i cant understand, the thread name "Security for post" only 1 section i can post, in forum ;) EditBut ok i add mysqli_real_escape_string Edited by phpnoob

The point is you shouldn't be adding stuff.You're approaching the problem with the idea that you have "hackable data"™, with which you do something, and it becomes "unhackable data"™. Things don't work that way.Instead, you have "data safe for X, damaging the intended content in Y, unsafe for Z". No matter how many functions you pass over a piece of data, you always have X, Y and Z in there. The only difference is what X, Y and Z actually are.When you apply mysqli_real_escape_string(), you're making your data "safe for a string in MySQLi, damaging the intended content for almost anything else (including HTML), unsafe for a file path (and perhaps a few other things)".Similarly, when you apply htmlspecialchars(), you're making your data "safe for (X)HTML text, damaging the intended content for almost anything else (including a MySQLi string), unsafe for a URL (and perhaps a few other things)".So... to protect yourself from an SQL injection, you "use mysqli_real_escape_string() when the data is about to become a string in a MySQL query". At that moment (ONLY at that moment), the fact that the result of mysqli_real_escape_string() is unsecured or damaging in other contexts is irrelevant, because the context of an SQL query is the only one you need to care about at that moment.To protect yourself from an XSS attack, you "use htmlspecialchars() when the data is about to be written as a plain text within an HTML document". And again, ONLY at that moment.

The point is you shouldn't be adding stuff. You're approaching the problem with the idea that you have "hackable data", with which you do something, and it becomes "unhackable data". Things don't work that way. Instead, you have "data safe for X, damaging the intended content in Y, unsafe for Z". No matter how many functions you pass over a piece of data, you always have X, Y and Z in there. The only difference is what X, Y and Z actually are. When you apply mysqli_real_escape_string(), you're making your data "safe for a string in MySQLi, damaging the intended content for almost anything else (including HTML), unsafe for a file path (and perhaps a few other things)". Similarly, when you apply htmlspecialchars(), you're making your data "safe for (X)HTML text, damaging the intended content for almost anything else (including a MySQLi string), unsafe for a URL (and perhaps a few other things)". So... to protect yourself from an SQL injection, you "use mysqli_real_escape_string() when the data is about to become a string in a MySQL query". At that moment (ONLY at that moment), the fact that the result of mysqli_real_escape_string() is unsecured or damaging in other contexts is irrelevant, because the context of an SQL query is the only one you need to care about at that moment. To protect yourself from an XSS attack, you "use htmlspecialchars() when the data is about to be written as a plain text within an HTML document". And again, ONLY at that moment.
i get what you mean by momment :)and if i make both string at once? or do those code 2 time?

Your script never does these two things at once. It only does one after the other.e.g.

<?php$mysqli = new mysqli(...);$username = $_POST['username'];$mysqli->query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username`='" .//At this moment, we're about to create a string that is part of a MySQLi query.//Time to do mysqli_real_escape_string() over the input (in this case $username)$mysqli->real_escape_string($username) ."'"//MySQLi string just ended. We don't want the input containing anything MySQLi related any more,//and because we never rewrote $username, that's exactly what's happening.);echo '<div>Hello ',//We're about to write something as part of the HTML output.//We want this to be plain text, so it's time to use htmlspecialchars().//Because we're still working with the original data (not the one mysqli_real_escape_string() produced),//this will work equally well, regardless of what $_POST['username'] contains.htmlspecialchars($username),'</div>';

vs

<?php$mysqli = new mysqli(...);//Contraty to what you might think, your script is still doing one thing after the other://First htmlspecialchars(), and then mysqli_real_escape_string() operates over that.$username = $mysqli->real_escape_string(htmlspecialchars($_POST['username']));$mysqli->query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `username`='" .//No SQL injection, because mysqli_real_escape_string was the outer most function we applied.//However, if $_POST['username'] contains any quotes, "<", ">", or "&",//you'll notice your DB is now storing something different from the other example.$username ."'");echo '<div>Hello ',//We're about to write something as part of the HTML output.//You may think you're safe because of htmlspecialchars(). Strictly speaking, in this particular case,//that's true, BUT if $_POST['username'] contains any apostrophes, you'll see them prepended with a slash.$username,'</div>';