Problems with seemingly simple MSDN Profile Properties example project

K_Drive

I am trying to complete what seems like a very simple example project on MSDN to learn how to use Profile Properties that are set up in the web.config file for an ASP.Net/C# project. Here is the link to the MSDN page:MSDN Profile Properties walkthrough I followed the C# steps on this page for the first simple project up to "To test the PostalCode property". I am getting the error below when I run/debug. I am using Visual Studio. I also have SQL Server. I copied/pasted the code. I am getting a server error listed at the end of this post. If I am reading the MS web page correctly, the first simple example uses the anonymousIdentification element. So, no login is necessary I set up this simple project in a new page within an existing project that has a database. I can see the Profile table in SQL Server. But, the app just can't seem to get to it. Is there something else I need to get profiles to work involving the database? -- error listing: -- System.Web.HttpException was unhandled by user codeMessage="Unable to connect to SQL Server database."Source="System.Web" ErrorCode=-2147467259 StackTrace: at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.EnsureSqlExpressDBFile(String connectionString) at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyValuesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc) at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName) at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at ProfileCommon.get_PostalCode() in c:\Users\amredstart\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary ASP.NET Files\website1\839131dc\b553a82a\App_Code.ocx-hpma.0.cs:line 21 at _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\amredstart\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WebSite1\CustomerProfiles.aspx.cs:line 16 at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Edited by K_Drive

• 3 weeks later...

"Unable to connect" sounds like the database server is not reachable or not accepting connections, or that your login failed. The way I read the MSDN page, the anonymousIdentification element doesn't have anything to do with database authentication.