WAMP versus XAMPP

cover

Hello, I'm trying to get opinions on using WAMP vs XAMPP.I've used WAMP on an XP machine for years very successfully and my code ran flawlessly. Since I've downloaded XAMPP on my Windows 7 64 bit machine (installed the 32 bit version), I've had a number of times where my input form content doesn't make it to the database table, even though I never get an error indicating there was a connect problem. I'm thinking about going back to WAMP (undecided on 32 v 64 bit) just to try and bring that stability back to my app.It's so frustrating when queries work fine and the 'insert' seems to take place as input is written to the table only to find that it didn't make the trip. Just thought I'd put this out for opinions as I'm pretty much at wits end to figure out why oftentimes, a fresh form inputs data just fine but input attempts following that don't get written to the table. I've been using XAMPP-Portable v1.8.1 TIA

I personally have had no problems with XAMPP although I haven't done as advanced things with it as you have. I was unaware XAMPP came in 32 or 64 bit versions, I'm unaware which I have, but it works flawlessly for me on a Win 7 64x machine.

I guess there is no 64 bit version - mia culpa. The problem I'm having is when I try to write 250 characters to a corresponding varchar(250) table, the INSERT INTO fails to write any of the data to the table. An echo shows the data made it that far but upon running a query or examination of the table, the data's not there. Interestingly, if I drop 100 characters so the entry is down to say, 150 characters, it writes successfully. This is so weird but really frustrating.

It sounds like you're not seeing the error messages. If there is a problem, there will be an error message. For PHP you can use php.ini or ini_set and error_reporting to make sure errors are enabled (you can send them to an error log file also instead of displaying them in the browser), and for the mysql and mysqli extensions you need to manually check if the query failed, and get the error message from MySQL. http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.error.php